BQuant Desktop Application - Senior Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Posted May 27, 2022 - Requisition No. 100316
Bloomberg is the global leader in business and financial data, news and insight. Using the power of technology, we connect the world’s decision makers to accurate information on the financial markets to help them make faster, smarter decisions. We are doing this by building a product to open up our data, core products and visualizations to data scientists, ML researchers, and quantitative modelers. Our users can now fetch and interact with Bloomberg data and products using Python, and apply all the tools of the data science ecosystem to their analyses, unlocking unprecedented flexibility and customizability, by using BQuant right on their desktop.
Our team is responsible for providing the infrastructure required for installing and running BQuant on the desktop, including building secure python executables, the Jupyterlab infrastructure and access to external packages. We are also responsible for BQuant telemetry on the desktop.
The BQuant user base is growing rapidly. To help manage this growth we are working on several initiatives, including building desktop dashboards for our users and our analytics teams, adding additional security/sandboxing to our python executables, and adding support for users of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure and other virtualization technologies.
We are looking for a strong developer, capable of building high-quality, well-factored, testable, software running client-side in Windows, as well as server side Unix/Linux environments. The successful candidate should be passionate about the product and be highly motivated. As a member of the team, you will have the opportunity to work on a wide variety of technologies.
Who are you?
- You are an experienced software engineer with an interest in solving low level issues/challenges
- You collaborate and communicate across multiple teams well
- You take time to analyze different solutions and communicate trade-offs well
We’ll trust you to:
- Build features for the BQuant Desktop platform to enhance our users’ onboarding experience, making them as self-sufficient as possible and ensuring that their experience is seamless
- Stay up to date with industry developments in Jupyter, Python, and security
- Develop and deploy robust software requiring minimal maintenance
You need to have:
- Demonstrated experience programming and testing C/C++ or Python
- Knowledge of Windows internals-Security structures/APIs, WMI, image loading.
- Ability to listen, communicate, evaluate, problem solve, multi-task, and prioritize in a rewarding team environment
- BA, BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field, or equivalent experience
We’d love to see:
- Experience building full-stack applications and having those applications installed and run on Windows
- Familiarity with the details of Python installations, environments, and processes
- Familiarity with open source configuration, orchestration, and CI/CD tools