Senior Software Engineer - Ticker Plant MAPI
Posted Feb 22, 2022 - Requisition No. 100851
Market Data is information - trades, quotes, and other pricing data - gathered from around the world on every possible kind of financial instrument, from stocks and bonds to currencies and commodities. The Ticker Plant team builds software that handles over 80 billion unique Market Data events every day which we process, store and distribute to the Bloomberg Terminal and our Enterprise clients.
In the Ticker Plant Model API team (MAPI) we own the data model implementation and abstractions as well as the interfaces into and out of the Ticker Plant, putting us right at the heart of Bloomberg’s data. We have a large remit to make improvements, for example our current major project is to enrich the data heavily relied on by the Bloomberg Terminal and our Enterprise clients. This means designing, developing, and deploying strategic changes from exchanges through to clients.
Who are you?
A passionate and skilled Software Engineer who enjoys solving complex and challenging problems. Someone who, amongst many unknowns, is able to research and understand often complex and convoluted parts of the system and effectively untangle and fix any problems.
You are driven to solve challenges in software as well as process. Comfortable working in and being accountable to a team of your peers. You use your experience and knowledge to help others in your team and across the department grow, while learning from them.
You have a passion and understanding for the products and empathy for our business. You understand that the value you bring comes from supporting the business and our longer term visions, not just lines of code. We don’t have designated QA roles in our teams so you are an engineer with a mindset for maintaining and improving software capital with an emphasis on quality testing.
- are an excellent engineer with experience in all phases of the software development life cycle (design, implementation, test, deployment, and maintenance in production)
- are able to review others code and designs and provide insightful and useful feedback
- have a passion to succeed and remove impediments in your way and aren’t fazed by problems but see these as an opportunity to solve
- are happy with a level of autonomy and engage in teamwork to motivate each other and achieve the best results for our customers
bring great ideas to the table and understand how to garner support for them with peers and managers
You need to have:
- Have excellent software engineering skills and experience using any object-oriented programming language (C++, Java, C#, Python etc.)
- Experience designing systems end to end
- Have an Agile mindset, experience in working in Scrum teams
- Mindset and experience with quality assurance and testing
We’d love to see:
- Experience using C++ and Python at production level
- Have experience with large volume distributed architectures
- Dedicated to ongoing learning (conferences, reading, courses, developer communities, open source contributions etc.)
- Leading others without authority
If this sounds like you, please apply!
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here: https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/software-engineering-experienced-hire/
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.