Tech Columnist - New York
New York, NY
Posted Mar 31, 2022 - Requisition No. 102084
Bloomberg Opinion is looking for an experienced and energetic journalist with a strong understanding of the technology industry in all its forms. The ideal candidate would write about the biggest issues and companies in tech, with an emphasis on U.S. policy and corporate strategy and performance. The columnist would ideally be familiar with the industry's most influential businesses and personalities and have an understanding of venture capital and startup culture, all while putting news developments in their historical context. The columnist will have opportunities to collaborate with writers covering tech in Europe and Asia.
We'll trust you to:
- Write insightful Opinion pieces on the tech industry with an authoritative and engaging voice, including fast commentary on breaking news as well as deeper dives into specific trends and issues.
- Know the players, from the tech giants to the groundbreaking startups. Have a deep knowledge of corporate finance, with the ability to crunch data on specific companies and compare them across the industry, as well as view them through the lens of the broader economy.
- Speculate about future developments, including unfolding trends, likely deals and related policy matters.
- Be on top of the latest tech innovations and aware of what's on the horizon.
- Know, understand and be able to weigh in on the regulatory backdrop of the tech industry, from antitrust to privacy and security.
You'll need to have:
- Broad and deep knowledge of the Big Tech firms, including the FAANGs, Microsoft and other big players such as Oracle and Intel, as well as familiarity with the startup world and ground breaking technologies.
- A degree in Journalism or relevant discipline, and/or equivalent work experience in a breaking news environment.
- An interest in understanding, simplifying and transforming complicated data into graceful, accessible prose.
- Abundant perspective, opinions grounded in facts, and the ability to make every column a must-read for a discerning professional audience.
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com). Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com)