BloombergNEF Gas and Power Analyst
New York, NY
Posted Mar 31, 2022 - Requisition No. 102123
BloombergNEF (BNEF) is seeking a talented, highly motivated individual to join our Americas gas and power analysis team. You're one of those people who have a passion for energy markets and you want to be at the edge of change in this exciting industry. You naturally form original opinions, and you have an exceptional ability to communicate these to your audience. Your quantitative skills are strong, and you love to analyze critically complex subjects. Teamwork is important to you, and you understand how healthy debates inform solid conclusions.
BNEF is a strategic research provider covering global commodity markets and the disruptive technologies driving the transition to a low-carbon economy. Our expert coverage assesses pathways for the power, transport, industry, buildings and agriculture sectors to adapt to the energy transition. We help commodity trading, corporate strategy, finance and policy professionals navigate change and generate opportunities.
You will be based in our New York office as part of the gas-power-carbon team for BNEF - the world's leading independent provider of analysis, tools, data and research to decision makers leading the future of energy. Our team of experts, spread across six continents, provides independent analysis and insight, working with the largest corporations across utilities and generation, oil & gas, equipment manufacturers, banking and finance, and government.
BNEF Team Ethos:
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
We'll trust you to:
Expand our scope in North American power & natural gas markets by examining changes to the supply and demand fundamentals
- Build and maintain datasets and models to further our understanding of short and medium term markets
- Glean new insights and understanding from complex data sets
- Deliver both quantitative and qualitative research, utilizing the Bloomberg Terminal to develop research and analysis
- Effectively communicate views and findings through reports, news stories, datasets, and direct client interactions
- Together with other team members, identify topics of interest to clients, conduct research, and report on the findings in a timely manner
- Develop and implement market-driving products, data sets, forecasts, and tools
- Collaborate with a high degree of professionalism with colleagues and clients from different cultures and countries
- Promote high degree of knowledge leadership in the market
- Develop a network of contacts in the industry and promote/represent BNEF across a wide variety of senior stakeholders
- Present your research at conferences and clearly communicate it to clients and prospects
- Basic understanding of either natural gas or power markets
- Advanced skills with Excel and basic competency in Python and Pandas
- Close to two years experience in an analytical role
- Understanding of market drivers that influence energy markets and the transition to a sustainable future in North America
- Strong quantitative skills; comfortable with large datasets and building complex models
- A natural aptitude for graphically presenting data and writing clearly and concisely
- Rigorous attention to detail and a commitment to high quality work
- A track record of thinking critically and developing thoughtful opinions by cutting through the noise of data, extracting key patterns, applying skepticism to the claims of industry participants and asking insightful questions
- Strong communication skills in English: writing (for research reports), reading (to conduct research) and speaking (for presentations at conferences, to clients, or to the media)
- Close to two years experience in the gas, power, coal, carbon, or finance industries
- Advanced Python skills
- Specific interest in using your talents to support a faster and more efficient energy transition
- Experience working with the Bloomberg Terminal
What's the role:
You'll need to have:
We'd love to see:
If this sounds like you, apply today!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.