Communications Manager, Engineering & Technology (Contract)
New York, NY
Posted Aug 11, 2022 - Requisition No. 103060
Bloomberg delivers critical information in a world where information matters. We give influential decision makers in business, finance and government a driven edge by connecting them to a dynamic network of news, people and ideas. To do that, we need a constant flow of ideas, energy, innovation—which is where you come in. At Bloomberg, you will have the opportunity to go above and beyond and to take risks. Be a part of an organization that is entering new markets, launching new ventures and pushing boundaries. Our ever-expanding array of technology, data, and news and media services fosters innovation and empowers clients—and offers nearly limitless opportunities for career growth!
Who you are:
You're a creative communicator with a passion for technology who will work collaboratively to drive strategic communications efforts in support of Bloomberg's 6,500+ world-class engineers around the globe and their innovative work creating and advancing solutions and systems that solve complex, real-world problems for our clients across the global capital markets. You're the kind of person who knows how to develop and maintain close working relationships with both senior stakeholders, engineers throughout the organization, and other Marketing & Comms partners.
You are a habitual collaborator, and working with peers in marketing and HR/recruiting to achieve business goals is your idea of a very good day. You like to ideate, but your real expertise is getting stuff done. You have more than a basic familiarity with the global financial and tech marketplace. Better if you can understand and speak with confidence about our underlying tech stack and why open source is important to us, our business, and the world around us.
Oh, and familiarity with media, social media, channels, and influencers active in and around technology and its various technical micro-communities is essential. It'd also help if you can find your way around WordPress and PowerPoint (since we annually support hundreds of conference presentations by our engineers).
What you'll do:
You will be responsible for helping to enhance Bloomberg’s reputation by telling our story as an innovator, a great place for engineers to work, and an essential part of society — both as a financial and media firm and as an engine that drives impact through Bloomberg Philanthropies. Through our narrative as a technology-led firm, you will write, talk, tweet, and create and share video to promote and tout our people, data, systems, analytics, and products that enable financial professionals around the globe to make critical investment and business decisions. You will also promote and protect Bloomberg's image as a provider of market-leading financial information and technology solutions through strategic and effective external communications. You'll also collaborate with our global Comms team to communicate with and through Bloomberg's community of technical employees.
As part of our Innovation Communication team, we’ll trust you to:
- Help build and execute integrated external and employee communications strategies, programs, and actions that enable recruitment and recognition of top talent, and retain our best peeps.
- Provide counsel to senior management and subject matter experts to build and burnish the perception of Bloomberg as a technology leader
- Collaborate with product managers, sales and marketing teams across the business to shape and articulate Bloomberg's commitment to innovation
- Support communications leadership in developing and executing media relations strategies including building and maintaining relationships with print, electronic, and broadcast media in business, finance, technology and general news arenas
- Handle reactive and outreach media relations
- Serve as spokesperson. Build and maintain tight-knit relationships with relevant mainstream and niche technology media and business press.
- Develop and maintain awareness of editorial calendars and reporter interests to actively pitch and place stories and anticipate emerging opportunities
- Package and promote coverage about Bloomberg to non-media influencers; identify industry influencers, develop and execute engagement strategies to inspire their awareness and advocacy
- Develop, implement, and maintain appropriate metrics to evaluate impact and effectiveness of both internal and external communications
- Manage PR/Comms agency partners and internal folks
You should have:
- A Bachelor's degree, along with 5-7 years of experience developing and implementing communications programs for business/financial, trade, and technology media; developer communications a plus
- Strong writing and editing skills
- The ability to provide timely, appropriate, and accurate counsel to senior executives and use business leaders to address issues and capitalize on opportunities
- An understanding of the financial services industry and market participants; at least some knowledge of the equities, fixed income, and foreign exchange and commodities markets would help you a lot
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with internal and external audiences
- The ability to translate industry issues and opportunities into messaging that resonates with target audiences
- Experience implementing integrated communications strategies, including thought-leadership content development, digital content (blogs, videos, and social media, a well as influencer and analyst relations
Please come equipped with:
- Strong self-confidence and adaptability, a change agent who thrives in a fast-paced environment with autonomy
- Emotional intelligence ("EQ"): the ability to put yourself in your stakeholders' shoes
- The ability to see opportunities and challenges, and offer practical solutions
- The ability to multi-task: every day is different and you need to be able to shift from working with media to helping an engineer prepare for a conference talk to publishing digital content seamlessly
- Comfort working shoulder-to-shoulder in an open plan environment
- A secret power, a sense of humor — or both.
Does this sound like you?
Apply! If we think you're a good match, we'll get in touch with you soon.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.