Senior Software Engineer - Company Data Platform
Posted May 17, 2023 - Requisition No. 104707
The Financial Data & Calculations department in Bloomberg is responsible for the storage, analysis, calculations, distribution, search, and screening of critical financial data. We absorb billions of data points from hundreds of financial markets every single day and build systems that fuel the markets by providing intelligent analytics and transparency to level the playing field. The goal of the group is to add value to financial data and reduce the time it takes for Bloomberg clients to make an investment decision - we do this by analyzing, extracting, and aggregating relevant information. We share a passion for solving today’s problems by innovating for tomorrow!
For over 35 years, our clients have relied on our core product, the Bloomberg Terminal, for the data and analytics they need to make informed investment decisions. The Company Financials Data Platform teams within Bloomberg cover complex time-series data sets for Global Financial Markets including company reports as well as broker estimates for the Bloomberg Terminal. There are thousands of data fields each resulting in billions of data points spanning years contributing to terabytes of storage. The team provides storage solutions for large multi-dimensional datasets and the systems to find, transform, understand and visualize the available data. We use message queues for high-speed data ingestion, distributed computing for enhanced business analytics, as well as big data and distributed caching to provide high performance access API. Collectively, the systems provide enhanced business analytics and data insights allowing our customers to make savvy financial decisions. You’ll gain a deep understanding of multi-dimensional data modeling and processing, how to architect high-performance low latency backend systems, and intuitive visual design.
We’ll trust you to:
- Define & design large scale distributed systems that can be used for interactive as well as batch use cases.
- Support systems at all stages of the software life cycle
- Evaluate upcoming open-source technologies for distributed computing and integrate such that our platform improves and scales better.
- Interact with infrastructure, business, and data teams to produce client requirements for next generation product development.
- Take ownership of technical solutions
You’ll need to have:
- 4+ years of experience with application programming, building large scale distributed systems, data structures, algorithms and all phases of the software life cycle.
- Knowledge of programming languages like Python, C++ and/or Java.
- Experience in delivering high performance production quality software to clients.
- Functional understanding of distributed systems architecture.
- An aptitude for analytical problem solving.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, and/or related professional experience
We'd love to see:
- Knowledge of distributed computing platforms like Kafka, Spark etc.
- Familiarity with caching and search systems such as Redis or Apache Solr
- Experience with Docker and continuous integration
If this sounds like something you would be passionate about, please apply!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus