Senior Software Engineer/ SRE Edge Security
Posted Jul 6, 2022 - Requisition No. 105222
The SRE Team for Edge Services is responsible for building and monitoring services used to transit the external facing edge of our networks to provide access to internal resources.
We manage access services and ensure scaling to provide a secure and reliable service to our users. We achieve our goals by developing and maintaining our own tools and leverage industry standard automation frameworks.
Edge Services are essential for our company. We provide thousands of Engineers access to internal resources with a solution called bbVPN: Giving the flexibility to access from anywhere in the world helping to be flexible and innovative. Over the years the amount of users leveraging this solution has grown heavily.
In addition backend services are using this secure way to exchange data with service partners.
As a technology stack we use VPN technologies (openVPN), proxy services (HAproxy) and Identity Aware Proxies tailored for Bloomberg's requirements. For automation we use frameworks like Ansible and SaltStack. For version control we use git and leverage standard SDLC practices and tools.
To strengthen our team, we are seeking a talented and highly self-motivated Security Reliability Engineer at our Frankfurt office.
- We’re incredibly proud of our culture and collaboration sits at the centre of how we operate, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate across teams and locations on a global scale, both virtually and in person.
- Engineers at Bloomberg actively shape the direction of our technology and products, helping drive innovation in the financial markets.
- Frankfurt is one of 11 engineering hubs at Bloomberg, since being established in 2014 Frankfurt has enjoyed consistent growth, now with 140 employees and 70 in engineering, the office has become an integral part of Bloomberg's global tech communities and initiatives.
- Since 2021 we’ve been employing a hybrid work model, which gives our engineers flexibility but also allows us to foster team spirit and collaboration across teams.
- We’re big advocates of getting together and sharing ideas, our Frankfurt office holds regular internal and external tech, social and philanthropic events to strengthen our relationships with the local community.
- Our Frankfurt office is in the heart of the city, it's also newly refurbished, so for the days that you’re in the office you can enjoy state of the art facilities, which include a fully stocked pantry serving breakfasts and lunches.
Alongside a great culture, we also offer Frankfurt employees a comprehensive list of benefits, which include:
- 100% coverage on health insurance costs for employees and eligible family members
- 30+ days holiday per year
- Endless opportunities to participate in philanthropic events and charity days
- Sponsorship for continuous education and professional development
- Sponsorship to attend external events and global conferences
We’ll trust you to:
- Apply your experience as an SRE to reinforce SRE concepts and best practices
- Engineer solutions to monitor the health, availability, and capacity of our environment and software using industry standard tools and practices
- Assist in architecting large-scale secure solutions for our teams’ products
- Define, measure, and achieve service level objectives as appropriate for the systems the team manages
- Use all your technical skills and experience to ensure the reliability of a diverse set of systems with a diverse technology stack
- Help expanding the observability of these systems to improve their reliability
- Collaborate with the engineering and product operations teams to find the very best solutions to their problems
- Using programmatic techniques thoroughly test all infrastructure and systems managed by the team to ensure that they work as expected.
You'll need to have:
- Demonstrated experience in a relevant SRE role
- Experience with using configuration and orchestration software such as Chef, Ansible or SaltStack
- Demonstrated experience programming and testing in one of the following languages: Python, Go, or C++
- Experience working in a 24/7 production engineering organization
- Experience at the linux command line, including system-level debugging and networking
- Experience managing large scale infrastructure projects utilizing DevOps/SRE practices
- Ability to listen, communicate, evaluate, problem solve, multi-task, and prioritize in a high-pressure, mission-critical, and rewarding team environment
- Willingness to constantly learn and develop your skills and bring that knowledge back to the team
We'll love to see:
- Experience with Security monitoring tools such as osquery
- Experience in building CI/CD toolchains with tools such as Jenkins, Github, and Artifactory
- Deep understanding of metrics and monitoring ecosystem i.e. grafana, humio, distributed trace
- Deep expertise troubleshooting complex distributed systems
- Experience with creating and improving documented procedures and/or playbooks
- Experience with utilizing tools such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible, or Salt to fully build and manage complex infrastructure at scale.
- Deep understanding of TCP/IP and Unix networking
- Linux kernel level debugging and eBPF experience
- Knowledge of Linux or Windows internals