Network Site Reliability Engineer - Networks
New York, NY
Posted Nov 16, 2022 - Requisition No. 105903
The Network SRE team is responsible for the reliability and performance of the network infrastructure that provides connectivity for internal and external business applications. We support all aspects of system integration, working closely with application owners and other Engineers to ensure a supportable operational model. We believe that our operational experience makes us well positioned to improve our monitoring, reporting and processes so we are ready for business.
We are involved with all aspects of planning and implementation of network infrastructure, spanning over a hundred Point of Presence (POP) sites globally and serve as point of escalation for Operations. We work closely with other Engineering team, Network Design, CTO office and product managers across the enterprise, driving technology forward and using Bloomberg's MPLS network for business and client needs.
What's the role?
On our team you'll use both your design and operational experience to help us implement new technologies that provide essential business solutions. You'll provide design recommendations as well as testing and implementing the designs as a proof of concept. We'll depend on you to provide technical leadership on complex projects involving a broad range of expertise and disciplines. You'll also be looked to for recommendations on how best to leverage new technology for the benefit of our customers.
We'll trust you to:
- Plan, design and handle the installation of wide area networks, including the recommendation of system software and hardware
- Capture requirements, analyze technical networking issues and develop options and recommendations
- Perform system installation, system software maintenance and product upgrades
- Procure networking hardware and software
- Test new vendor hardware, as well as software updates and patches
- Conduct network analysis, configuration management and develop improvements for system software performance, availability and reliability
- Research, analyze, plan and develop hardware and software requirements
- Design, develop, recommend and implement new or revised system software, utilities and automated processes as necessary
- Provide technical expertise for network transitions, migrations and consolidations
- Provide technical assistance to IT support staff, including but not limited to, Network Operations, Applications Developers, System Administrators, Project Mangers, Change Managers and Business Development staff
- Lead project management activities for new system requirements, RFP responses, POP site migrations and new technology deployments
- Collaborate with the R&D design team on implementing technologically advanced solutions to meet customer requirements
- Proactively assess exposure areas and take steps to reduce vulnerabilities
- Create and updates Network Diagrams in MS Visio, and document processes/procedures
- Collaborate with customers, end users, partners and associates to resolve complex issues
You'll need to have:
- 6+ years Cisco/Juniper Network Engineering experience with routers, switches, LAN, WAN and dynamic routing protocols (BFD, CFM, BGP, OSPF, IS-IS, MPBGP, MPLS, VPLS, BGP/MPLS)
- Programming experience with Python and PHP
- Experience with orchestration such as Ansible or Chef
- A Bachelors or Masters degree with a focus on Computer Science or Electrical Engineering preferred or equivalent work experience
- Extensive hands-on design, implementation and configuration of highly complex Cisco/Juniper Routing/Switching Network environments
- An understanding of WAN/LAN inter-networking including design elements, cost versus performance trade-offs, protocol interoperability, network architecture development and requirements for testing / proof of concept
- Experience implementing and troubleshooting user and site VPNs on multiple platforms
- Superb communication (verbal and written), customer service, and collaboration skills
- Effective prioritization and time management skills
- Ability to remain calm under urgency, to multi-task, to roll your sleeves up, to be client focused, and to adapt in a fast changing environment
- Flexibility to work off hours
- Strong documentation skills
We'd love to see:
- Technology experience such as Cloud (AWS, Azure), SDN/SD-WAN, CDNs, Internet IXP, MPLS, Whitebox Solutions
- Traffic Analysis utilizing Riverbed, Corvil or similar netflow analysis tools
- Nokia 7750 Experience
- Experience in Splunk Databases
If this sounds like you: Apply - if we believe you're a good match, we'll get in touch with you to let you know the next steps.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 130,000 - 225,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus