Senior Software Engineer-Data Platform- Bloomberg Second Measure
New York, NY
Posted Sep 1, 2022 - Requisition No. 108170
Bloomberg is a data company that is transforming how people use alternative data. This transformation started with Bloomberg Second Measure (BSM), a data product for understanding company performance and consumer trends using consumer transaction data. These financial transactions are the foundation upon which we build as we acquire, ingest, enrich, and distribute additional alternative data sets to innovate through our novel and valuable data products.
The Alternative Data Platform team is a software and systems engineering team focused on providing a usable, scalable, and reliable platform for building data products from alternative data. Our platform provides primitives and abstractions enabling our users to creatively solve problems and run the powerful analytical workflows necessary for alternative data. We empower our users to focus on the data by reducing the pain and frustration of using existing data and analytics tools, and adopt new and cutting edge technologies to enable the continuous evolution necessary for innovation.
As the foundational engineering team supporting alternative data, the team has two core responsibilities:
- Design, build, and maintain the data processing platform that empowers data scientists, data analysts, and data engineers to rapidly prototype and autonomously build, develop, and release data products
- Design, build, and maintain the query and data infrastructure critical to the research, development, and publication of alternative data
We run our platform in AWS. We build upon open-source technologies such as Kubernetes, Spark, Argo Workflows, Argo Events, and Trino in addition to adopting and supporting open standards such as OpenAPI, CloudEvents, and Open Lineage. Our users inform and guide our roadmap. Together, we evolve and deliver an ambitious vision for how to develop data products.
What’s in it for you:
You’ll be part of a diverse team with varying levels of experience and backgrounds that work together to create the platform. We support each other where we have expertise and become experts together where we have none. We seek input and feedback from our teammates, valuing open discussion and collaboration.
Everyone has opportunities to make meaningful contributions such as:
- Building APIs to orchestrate deployments and execution of data processing systems.
- Prototype data and analytics technologies to adopt and incorporate into our platform.
- Use established and existing technologies in novel ways to solve our problems.
- Integrate and manage cloud resources and services.
- Create tools and UIs to enhance usability and developer autonomy
We’ll Trust You To:
- Build and maintain systems that are scalable, reliable, and usable while simplifying the complexities for the benefit of our users
- Take ownership in the design and implementation of technical solutions from start to finish including prototyping, development, testing, and release.
- Collaborate with your team and the wider engineering organization and Alternative Data product teams to achieve the team’s goals.
- Own the infrastructure, services, systems used to provide the platform.
- Write and review code, develop documentation, debug problems with large, distributed, and complex systems.
You’ll need to have:
- Professional experience with our development languages (Python, Go, Typescript) and libraries, frameworks, and APIs within those languages.
- Experience building, maintaining, and debugging production systems and services such as cloud infrastructure, load balancers,, and APIs.
- Curiosity for investigating and understanding all areas of the platform whether it is working with AWS VPCs, improving a CLI used by developers, or understanding the primitive and logical types in a supported file format.
- Experience with distributed systems and service architectures.
- Fundamental engineering skills such as automated testing, continuous integration and deployment, version control, design patterns, data structures, and algorithms.
- A commitment to working in an inclusive, communicative, and collaborative environment that embraces diversity and ensures that everyone can contribute.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, relevant technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
We’d love to see
- Polyglot engineers that are comfortable with using multiple languages for building production systems
- Experience in and around technical data systems such as Spark, Flink, Dask, Clickhouse, Druid and technologies such as Parquet, Iceberg, and cloud object-stores.
- Experience building and supporting production systems with knowledge of Linux, networking (transport and application layer protocols), and deploying systems and services using Kubernetes, Mesos or Nomad.
- Experience building on Kubernetes using the operator pattern, admission webhooks, and other services that work with the Kubernetes API.
- Experience designing and automating operations cloud infrastructure such as AWS, GCP, Azure using tools such as Terraform and Ansible
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We encourage individuals that identify with historically underrepresented backgrounds in tech to reach out if our team’s work excites you. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus