Data Visualization Team Leader — London
Posted Sep 16, 2022 - Requisition No. 108864
Bloomberg News is the biggest financial and business news organization in the world. We lead the way in breaking news and providing analysis on financial markets, from intraday coverage through in-depth features. We are known for our quality, accuracy and ability to deliver news investors can use. It's what keeps us inventing and re-inventing, all the time.
We're seeking a Team Leader in London who specializes in data visualization and creative storytelling to manage a team of talented graphics reporters. The role will have a special focus on the UK as Bloomberg rolls out its new UK website, but you’ll also cover news from across Europe, the Middle East and Africa. In addition to the London team, you’ll have opportunities to collaborate with Bloomberg News Graphics members in New York, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taipei, San Francisco and Washington D.C.
Relying on your sound news judgment, refined design sensibilities and technical knowledge, you’ll inspire the team and the wider newsroom to execute inventive data-driven visual storytelling. You’ll assess projects as they’re pitched from team members as well as the wider newsroom and deliver effective feedback that communicates your vision to partnering reporters and editors. You’ll also lead by example — jumping in to help teammates with their graphics and producing your own. Most of all, we’ll expect you to be a supportive mentor — as eager to pitch your own ideas as you are encouraging of others — who finds reward in elevating and refining the work of the team through effective visual and narrative editing.
Prior editing or management experience is preferred, but not required. Candidates eager to transition to an editing role who can show an extensive background creating interactive data visualizations and leading collaborative projects are encouraged to apply.
We’ll trust you to:
- Assign and pursue data-driven stories with potential for elevated visual impact
- Edit graphics and narrative data visualizations from pitch to publication
- Coordinate with newsroom leaders in the region to understand coverage priorities
- Support graphics reporters on the team, both by listening to their ideas and helping them achieve their development goals
- 5+ years of professional experience in a role that produces narrative data visualizations for publication or equivalent
- Project management or other leadership experience
- Strong sense of visual design with solid understanding of layout, typography and user experience and familiarity with design software such as Adobe Creative Cloud
- Experience conceptualizing and structuring narratives and constructing copy
- Experience in data reporting, e.g. the ability to collect, manage, munge, explore and analyze data from various sources and formats using R, Python, or other programmatic methods
You’ll have the support of other editors and journalists across our highly-collaborative global graphics team, but your ability to jump into projects and apply these skills will help the team take ownership of critical stories in the region.
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or firstname.lastname@example.org