Financial Regulatory Counsel, Singapore
Posted Oct 25, 2022 - Requisition No. 110752
Challenging. Surprising. Fast-paced. Purposeful. Life at Bloomberg is many things, but it’s never dull. We’re a truly global business with a truly diverse workforce. We pride ourselves on being open, inclusive and collaborative — and in providing a work environment that inspires our employees to be their best. At Bloomberg, we work on purpose. All of us engage in meaningful work, delivering leading edge products and solutions that shape the industry and are critical to our customers. You’ll also get to work at a company that lives its values and provides employees with opportunities to give back. Whether you thrive on the energy of a newsroom, the pace of a trading floor, or the buzz of a recent tech breakthrough, we’ll give you more than a job. We’ll give you the opportunity to do amazing work you couldn’t do anywhere else.
Bloomberg’s Legal Department plays a critical role in supporting our businesses and operations around the world. We move quickly and thoughtfully to help address a variety of complex legal issues that come with being the world’s leading financial news and information company. Our team is made up of talented and hardworking professionals who think creatively and work collaboratively in an open environment to deliver results, drive innovation, and solve difficult problems. We also recognise the value of diversity and inclusion in cultivating a supportive workplace and the importance of giving back to our communities as evidenced by our award-winning pro bono program.
The Global Financial Regulatory team provides coverage and legal support of Bloomberg's regulated entities and products including support for Bloomberg's non-regulated products and services. We are influential in the development of new products, services and regularly provide legal advice regarding the design and implementation of new products and services.
What’s the role?
Based in either Hong Kong or Singapore, this is a great opportunity to join the Financial Regulatory legal team who are responsible for the global support of electronic trading venues for securities and derivatives across all asset classes, pre-trade analytics, post-trade services, research, information security and enterprise risk.
You will have the opportunity to support products across the business including electronic trading systems and data reporting products. On any given day you could be asked to analyse, help implement, or advocate for change to international securities and derivatives laws and regulations affecting Bloomberg's businesses across APAC, or draft and negotiate agreements with key customers. You will liaise regularly with senior business stakeholders, other legal counsel, our risk, negotiations and compliance teams, or other support functions.
We'll trust you to:
- Provide advice and help ensure regulated businesses comply with their prudential, conduct and commercial obligations
- Provide legal support for business, operations and marketing and sales forces
- Help draft and negotiate agreements and regulatory responses
- Bring a willingness to develop your knowledge of securities and derivatives regulation and related practice areas to complement a highly functioning legal team with a broad portfolio of regulatory issues facing electronic trading, benchmark administrators, technology and information services providers.
- Collaborate with colleagues to deliver first-class advice and execution to Bloomberg
- Provide guidance on controls relating to international securities and derivatives laws and regulations affecting Bloomberg's businesses
You’ll need to have:
- Minimum 5 years of experience at an international law firm and/or in-house legal department of a multinational company
- Minimum 5 years of experience focused on non-contentious financial regulatory matters
- Experience advising on the financial regulatory regimes of either Hong Kong or Singapore
- Familiarity with global financial services regulation, securities and/or derivatives regulations with a particular emphasis on the UK, EU, and/or US
- Strong communication, presentation and negotiation skills and the ability to thrive in an open office environment
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and effectively interact with people across cultures, ranges of ability, genders, ethnicities and races
- Strong communication and presentation skills in English
- Demonstrated continuous career growth within an organisation
We'd love to see:
- Knowledge of regulatory issues relevant to broker-dealers, trading infrastructure (e.g. regulated trading venues, CCPs, trade reporting entities, benchmark administrators), investment advisers, public and private securities offerings and/or regulated businesses in the financial services sector
- Familiarity with regulatory regimes across multiple APAC jurisdictions, including emerging markets
- Experience working for an in-house derivatives and/or financial regulation team
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.