Ottawa Bureau Chief
Posted Dec 14, 2022 - Requisition No. 112373
Ottawa is the center of power in Canada, the place where the most important political and economic decisions are made. It's also a great city for a newshound. We're seeking a bureau chief who can break exclusive news, bring timely analysis, and help raise the profile of Bloomberg's coverage of the Trudeau government and the Canadian economy.
The ideal candidate brings deep knowledge of the economy and its key drivers, as well as an ability to interpret the decisions of the most important policymakers, including the Bank of Canada. She or he will be able to work at a high pace and make timely decisions about coverage priorities across the landscape of government news, with a clear focus on topics that Bloomberg clients care about most, including finance, energy, climate and trade. Part of this job includes attending some government and central bank lockups. We're looking for a person who's capable of bringing key newsmakers into our coverage through interviews and editorial boards. Finally, the Ottawa bureau chief will collaborate across teams and departments, taking advantage of Bloomberg's global reach.
We'll trust you to:
- Demonstrate outstanding news judgment and deliver stories on tight deadlines
- Break news and produce high-quality enterprise pieces
- Set coverage priorities with the help of data on what Bloomberg readers want
- Elevate the work of the Ottawa team while working effectively with editors across the Bloomberg newsroom, including those in Washington, London and other capitals
- Attract top decision-makers to build the visibility of our coverage from the bureau
- At least six years of experience working in journalism with a focus on business, finance, government or economics. International experience is an asset.
- The ability to build sources and help produce memorable scoops and enterprise
- A high energy level and the capacity to move easily across different subjects
- Experience working as part of a broader newsroom and an all-hands-on-deck spirit
- An ability to understand and synthesize Canadian economic and government news as part of a global picture
You will need:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know that the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at:
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.