Just Energy Transition Partnerships Lead
Posted Jan 3, 2023 - Requisition No. 112907
The Glasgow Financial Alliance for Net Zero (GFANZ) is a coalition of leading financial institutions committed to accelerating the decarbonisation of the global economy in line with governments’ commitments under the Paris Agreement. GFANZ was established in 2021 as a forum for addressing sector-wide challenges associated with the net-zero transition, helping to ensure high levels of ambition are met with credible action. Members – numbering over 550 financial institutions from 50 jurisdictions – have committed to the goal of net zero by 2050, in line with science-based pathways to limit warming to 1.5 degrees C. Learn more about GFANZ at www.gfanzero.com.
With a group of private financial institutions, international financial institutions, and public policy partners, GFANZ is working to unlock transition finance to support emerging markets and developing economies in their energy and wider net-zero transitions. Our work is organised through a CEO-led workstream on Mobilising Capital, regional networks in Asia Pacific and Africa, and country-specific work in support of G20/G7 Country Platforms and Just Energy Transition Partnerships (JETPs).
We are looking for experienced and effective individuals to support our senior leadership team by leading on one or more of the country-level initiatives we are supporting, across Asia Pacific and Africa, and to support efforts to crowd in private finance at the scale needed for critical energy transitions. The roles involve: developing a good understanding of how platform-type approaches can work; helping to develop thinking on the types of financing mechanisms and deal structures needed to mobilize capital at scale; and driving an action-oriented work programme with the private financial sector designed to mobilise the investment needed.
We’ll trust you to:
- Help us develop a strategy and work plan for the private financial sector’s input to a country’s energy transition (or a group of countries’ transitions), ensuring this aligns with the country’s overarching strategy and preferences, and takes into account views of international partners and the private sector
- Help implement the strategy through time, by organising and running structured meetings with a private sector working group of financial institution representatives, designed to distil private sector input on approaches and financing structures needed to mobilise capital
- Work with colleagues across GFANZ secretariat, private sector working group, and other partners to understand new and innovative financing structures and approaches, and help to ensure GFANZ is supporting efforts to develop such structures
- Work to ensure that the approach being taken at the country level aligns with the broader frameworks and approaches being developed across GFANZ’s capital mobilisation work
- Input your practical expertise from the country-level experience, into our wider capital mobilisation and regional efforts, so that we actively learn by doing and make progress on cross-cutting issues around transition finance, blended finance, and related topics
- Input to articles, speeches, briefings, and other work to develop and explain concepts in this space, as part of efforts to establish and mainstream new frameworks, approaches and structures
You’ll need to have:
- 4-6* years relevant work experience in investment banking, project finance, infrastructure investment, or investment in emerging markets, with some expertise in climate, sustainability, and/or renewable energy
- Experience with structuring complex deals and exploring novel financing mechanisms, ideally including working with governments and public/international financial institutions
- Experience presenting on complex topics to senior stakeholders, including distilling the subject matter in a way that is easy for others to understand
- Ideally some project or transaction experience in emerging markets or developing economies, and in bridging public-sector and private-sector financing
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills, to build and maintain the necessary relationships, ensure we understand priorities and preferences, and find agreement to move forward
- Excellent writing skills, including for senior-level briefings, memos, and speeches to help us present our work and secure wider input
- Excellent time management and process management skills including ability to draft, socialise, and update on detailed workplans and milestones, and keep these moving to schedule in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
- A highly collaborative approach to working with colleagues and wider stakeholders to draw on all relevant expertise and deliver our work in an efficient manner
*Please note we use years of experience as a guide but we certainly will consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary for the role.
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is committed to diversity. It drives our innovation. At Bloomberg, you'll have the opportunity to go above and beyond and to take risks. You'll be a part of an organisation that is entering new markets, launching new ventures, and pushing boundaries. Our ever-expanding array of technology, data, news, and media services champions innovation and empowers clients -- and offers nearly limitless opportunities for career growth.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, colour, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.