BloombergNEF: Carbon capture analyst, London (12-month contract)
Posted Feb 13, 2023 - Requisition No. 114102
We are seeking a motivated, talented and quantitative individual to join our Sustainable Materials analyst team to undertake research and analysis on carbon capture technologies and markets. This position will be for a fixed term (12 month) period with a start date in April 2023. Opportunities to extend this contract may become available.
You’re someone with a keen interest in decarbonization of industry and materials who is interested in understanding the role carbon capture can play in a clean energy future. You develop original opinions through critical examination, and you enjoy communicating these in both writing and speech. Your quantitative skills are very strong, you are passionate about developing insights and analysing market trends, and you have a good eye for detail. Teamwork is important to you, and you are excited by the prospect of collaborating with colleagues and clients from a wide range of backgrounds.
You will be working as part of a global research team at BloombergNEF – the world's leading independent provider of analysis, tools, data and research to decision makers leading the transition to a low-carbon economy. Our data-driven research helps clients stay on top of developments across the materials, automotive and energy industries, supported by the unique depth and breadth of the Bloomberg Terminal and bnef.com platforms.
BNEF Team Ethos:
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don't rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
We will trust you to:
- Conduct research on the technology, policy and economic factors that will determine the adoption rate of carbon capture
- Perform quantitative analysis, market sizing, and forecasting using this data
- Focus on topics including: assessing the impact of government policies and subsidies on carbon capture economics, determining the competitiveness of carbon capture as a decarbonization technology, tracking new business models, and identifying promising early-stage technologies
- Gather and organize data sets pertaining to these topics
- Publish written research on topics as above
- Speak with industry figures and BloombergNEF clients to gather information and opinions
- Address client questions in a timely manner and present the team’s research to clients, prospective clients and at external conferences
We'll need you to:
- Have excellent critical thinking and strong quantitative skills, working with Microsoft Excel and other modelling tools to build cost models and capacity forecasts
- Have fluent English and good communication skills: writing (for research projects) and speaking (for presentations)
- Demonstrate an interest in, and enthusiasm for, the carbon capture sector
- Work closely with other teams at BloombergNEF, including our Hydrogen, Oil Demand, Natural Gas and Energy Economics sector teams
- Act as a self-starter, have a high work-rate and have the ability to work on parallel tasks with attention to detail
- Derive information from public sources and in-person / telephone interviews
- Have excellent working knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
We would love to see:
- Have a graduate degree in sciences or engineering
- Have experience in the energy or oil and gas sectors
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know that the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at:
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com). Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com)