Senior Software Engineer - Bloomberg Query Language (BQL) Team
New York, NY
Posted Apr 27, 2023 - Requisition No. 114852
To capture opportunities and evaluate risk in fast-moving markets, financial institutions of all sizes require performant access to the wealth of financial data and analytics available across Bloomberg's ecosystem. The Bloomberg Query Language (BQL) is the nexus of this data access and distributed analytics. Through an intuitive workflow construction and querying language, BQL enhances our client's experience by unifying access to Bloomberg's external APIs and internal services. It’s a one-stop-shop used directly by clients via a powerful Excel Plugin, it is the powerhouse behind Bloomberg’s new BQuant product and is used internally by domain application teams to build “Terminal Functions”.
A core team of 70+ engineers is passionately working on multiple initiatives:
- Providing unified and consistent access and analytics on top of Bloomberg’s rich data through a common API and expression language.
- Scaling the BQL infrastructure to handle more users, and more challenging use cases and datasets.
- Developing infrastructure, and workflows for domain application teams around the company to accelerate onboarding processes for new datasets in BQL.
We are looking for engineers, problem solvers, and agents of change to build the next generation of the BQL Platform with us. That's where you come in.
We'll trust you to:
- Adapt - to large, complex, and interconnected systems
- Collaborate - on problem solving, design, implementation
- Innovate - with all of your solutions
- Evolve - yourself, the code, systems, teams, and tools
- Think - about the bigger picture
- Integrate - your solutions with the BQL ecosystem
- Own - your solutions from inception, and through release
You’ll need to have:
- A deeper understanding of the programming languages and frameworks you use work internally, how they scale, or don’t scale to different problems
- Scaling systems that use medium and large datasets (indexing, joining, aggregating, parallel processing, orchestration, compression, sharding)
- Test-driven design and development
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related technology field
We’d love to see:
- Distributed computing, stateless design, microservices, and service oriented architecture
- Solving concurrency problems (either or both multiprocessing/threading)
- Experience building, and improving Continuous Integration and Delivery systems
Have experience in some of these areas but not all? The Bloomberg Engineering culture is growth oriented, and has loads of opportunities for you to fill in these gaps along the way in your career. Through our very active and vast guild community covering most languages, technologies, problem spaces, you can build a strong network to leverage, and expertise to bring innovation into your team.
If this sounds like you, apply!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus