BloombergNEF – Metals Analyst
Posted Apr 13, 2023 - Requisition No. 115519
BloombergNEF (BNEF) is seeking a talented, highly motivated individual to join our metals analysis team in London to develop unique insights, data and analytical tools that help our clients navigate the opportunities and challenges across the sector.
BloombergNEF (BNEF) is a strategic research provider covering global commodity markets and the disruptive technologies driving the transition to a low-carbon economy. Our expert coverage assesses pathways for the power, transport, industry, buildings and agriculture sectors to adapt to the energy transition. We help commodity trading, corporate strategy, finance and policy professionals navigate change and generate opportunities. BNEF has over 250 staff based across the globe.
You will be based in our London office, working as part of the metals research team, with members based in Beijing, Singapore, London and New York. Our data-driven research helps clients stay on top of developments across the energy sector, supported by the unique depth and breadth of the Bloomberg Terminal and bnef.com platforms.
The team analyzes the fundamental drivers of global metals markets. This includes assessing and understanding factors influencing the market today, along with exploring the long-term impacts of decarbonization on the industry. We work closely with other teams in BNEF to quantify the impact that policy, commodity prices, electrification, and changing technology cost will have on metals sector fundamentals and investment.
Our team of experts translates these fundamental drivers into strategic insights to help guide industry leaders at a time of rapid change. We work with the largest corporations across mining, banking and finance, utilities, government and many other sectors.
BNEF Team Ethos:
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
What’s the role?
The role is data-heavy, and requires confidence in building and maintaining complex models and datasets. The successful candidate will contribute to regular reports and build their own expertise and research agenda, analyzing the short- and long-term trends that shape metal markets and prices.
You will also work closely with commercial teams to ensure that our cutting-edge research translates into business impact for Bloomberg and BNEF.
We will trust you to:
- Become an authority on metals traded markets, working as part of a global team with a high degree of professionalism, and with colleagues and clients from different cultures
- Learn and write about the fundamentals of metals markets, with a focus on changes that are happening to supply and trade flows
- Understand policy and regulatory drivers and the implications of new trends
- Develop tools and data streams for the metals market that help BNEF enhance its capability to draw insight
- Engage with BNEF clients to help them extract the most value from the product
- Develop a network of contacts in the industry and promote/represent BNEF across a wide variety of senior partners
- Have fun working with interesting people on interesting topics
You'll need to have:
- Extraordinary communication skills in English: writing (for research reports), reading (to conduct research) and speaking (for presentations at conferences, to clients, or to the media)
- Strong quantitative skills, significant experience using Excel and comfort using large datasets and models
- A Bachelor’s degree in either Economics, Finance, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or other quantitative science
- Ability to think critically and develop thoughtful opinions by cutting through the noise of data, extracting key patterns, applying skepticism to the claims of industry participants and asking insightful questions
- Natural aptitude for graphically presenting data and writing clearly and concisely
- A demonstrated ability to retrieve key information, both through digital resources but also through direct human relationships
- Attention to detail and willingness to develop new data insights
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion, and a demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues from a variety of backgrounds
- Up to 3 years work experience in a relevant sector
We'd love to see:
- Post-graduate qualifications or professional experience in mining, material sciences, and/or a commodities-trading role
- High proficiency in coding with Python with the goal of gathering, processing, and analyzing data
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know that the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at:
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org). Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or email@example.com (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org)