Senior Data Analyst - ETL Pipelining
Posted May 1, 2023 - Requisition No. 115954
Bloomberg runs on data, and in the Data department we're responsible for acquiring, interpreting and supplying data insights to our clients. We collect, analyze, process, and publish the data which is the backbone of the Bloomberg Terminal (and other client facing products) - the facts and figures which ultimately move the financial markets. We apply problem-solving skills to identify innovative workflow efficiencies, and we implement technology solutions to improve our systems, products and processes - and all this while delivering sophisticated insights to our clients.
The Data Management Lab (DML) sits within Data, and supports its pursuit of data management excellence through aligning industry standard methodologies on data management principles with Bloomberg's established expertise in financial market data. DML empowers our data professionals to make their products “ready-to-use”, through promoting increased data discoverability, accessibility, appraisability, interoperability, and analysis-ready.
Within the DML organization, the Data Frameworks and Enablement (DFE) team covers many aspects of a data management pipeline:
- Ontologies and Taxonomies
- Reference Datasets and Controlled Vocabularies
- Data Linkage and Enrichment
The team focuses on enabling teams to nurture policies and standard methodologies that control, deliver, and improve the value of data.
What’s the role?
As a Senior Data Analyst, you will be pivotal in expansion of our products, in both depth and coverage. The day to day will vary, some days you may be onboarding and profiling datasets while others may consist of microservice development. Your work will touch a multitude of domains, such as data modeling, ETL, annotations, and more. The role requires working closely with a variety of internal collaborators, ranging from engineers to subject matter experts.
We’ll trust you to:
- Curate and profile internal and external datasets (> 50 GB)
- Design and develop automated solutions via microservices for data standardization, ETL, enrichment and more
- Design and develop tooling (libraries, CLIs, etc.) for validation, linting, and testing ontologies, taxonomies, and queries
- Formalize semantic DevOps practices internal and external to team
- Partner with a wide variety of collaborators including Engineering, Product and CTO on product development and execution
- Mentor junior members of the group who are looking to develop technically
You’ll need to have:
- A BA/BS degree, or higher, in Computer Science, Mathematics, or relevant data technology field, or equivalent professional work experience
- 3+ years of Python programming and scripting in a production environment
- 3+ years of validated experience working with databases (SQL, NoSQL, graph, etc.)
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- The ability to communicate sophisticated topics with appropriate scope to varying audiences
- Lead multiple customers, deadlines, and challenging priorities
- Legal authorization to work full-time in the United States and will not require visa sponsorship now or in the future
We’d love to see:
- Experience with semantic technologies, annotations, quality, business analytics or data modeling
- Experience using a Scrum Agile process
- Experience using data analysis and visualization tools such as Tableau or QlikSense
- A Master’s degree in one of the above fields of study
- Experience mentoring and teaching data skills to others
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.