Breaking News Editor (Weekends)
Posted May 5, 2023 - Requisition No. 116058
Bloomberg News is one of the biggest financial and business news organizations in the world. We lead the way in breaking news and providing analysis on financial markets, from intraday coverage through in-depth features. We are known for our quality, accuracy and ability to deliver news investors can use. It's what keeps us inventing and re-inventing, all the time.
Bloomberg's Breaking News team is fast and innovative, and our mission is to deliver this news to readers as quickly as possible, enabling our audience to stay a step ahead. We are looking for a dynamic, versatile, and passionate journalist to be a dedicated Weekend Editor for Breaking News in Asia, working a Thursday-Sunday schedule.
As a Breaking News editor on a team that monitors global news, you will be the first pair of eyes on any market-moving story out of any corner of the world. You will watch the constant flow of information from a range of sources including social media, regulatory wires and company websites; use strong news judgement to decide what actually has potential to move markets; and relay that information in headlines and dispatches as quickly as possible, as clearly as possible, for our real-time clients. You'll take the lead when mega-acquisitions are announced out of the blue, when rockets are fired in the Middle East or when earthquakes threaten populous cities. You'll help cover the late-night twists and turns of US politics, be the first to notice when a newsmaker's tweet could have an impact on trading decisions, or deliver the news when an industry-shaking antitrust ruling finally drops.
Breaking News editors thrive in a high-pressure environment, aren't afraid to make split-second decisions, and love surprises. When unexpected news breaks, we will jump in to cover it rather than hang back and wait for someone else to take the first step. We work well with both people and technology. We understand what serious market participants are looking for amid the daily deluge of information, and we're adept at separating the wheat from the chaff on social media. If this sounds like you, we want you to join our Breaking News team in Asia.
We'll trust you to:
- Make fast and decisive judgement calls on breaking news stories, including M&A, IPOs, corporate earnings, government news and other global events
- Stay poised and focused in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Unearth news from traditional and new-media sources
- Stay on top of major news stories and trends that matter to market participants
- Write potentially market-moving first versions of stories, quickly and accurately
- Collaborate with Bloomberg reporters and editors across Asia and the world
- Be a constructive, flexible, and dependable team player
You'll need to have:
- A minimum of 3 years of journalism experience
- Experience working at a real-time news service
- Experience covering financial markets, business or economies as a journalist
- Fluency in both spoken and written English
- Familiarity with social media and ability to evaluate the credibility of information from such sources
- Proven skill at collaborating and working across teams to accomplish goals
- A deep interest in major news stories from all around the world
- Flexibility with hours and assignments. News is unpredictable!
- Demonstrated continuous career growth within an organization
We’d love to see:
- Fluency in an Asian language
- Familiarity with automation, machine learning and/or natural language processing
Life at Bloomberg is many things, but it’s never dull. We’re a truly global business with a truly diverse workforce. We pride ourselves on being open, inclusive and collaborative, and provide a work environment that inspires our employees to be their best. We offer competitive compensation, comprehensive healthcare coverage, and programs to support you and your family through different life stages, from parental leave to generous retirement savings plans
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for.