Breaking News Editor
Posted Jun 5, 2023 - Requisition No. 116784
From Elon Musk's tweets to Tucker Carlson's new job to FAA's grounding of flights nationwide, social media is at the forefront of market-moving news globally.
Bloomberg News is looking for a dynamic, versatile, and passionate journalist to join our Breaking News team. You should have a broad interest in all kinds of news from around the world, with the ability to digest surprises quickly and tell the real-time client what they need to know, now. You embrace challenges, can make split-second decisions, thrive in a fast-paced environment and are an effective communicator across a global newsroom.
As first responders to news both expected and not, you will be lightning fast and innovative on anticipating where and how news will break next. You must be adept at navigating various sources of information, especially social media, with an awareness of the advantages and pitfalls of each. You'll need to be sensitive to the needs of equities-focused clients in particular, and ensure that Bloomberg is covered on anything that may move stock prices and macro markets. You will also take the initiative to discover breaking news wherever it occurs, by leveraging your expertise and the exciting technologies available at Bloomberg.
WE'LL TRUST YOU TO:
- Make fast and decisive judgement calls on breaking news stories, including M&A, IPOs, government news, general news and other global events
- Stay poised and focused in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Unearth news from traditional and new-media sources
- Utilize machine-learning tools to ensure Bloomberg remains on the cusp of breaking news
- Stay on top of major news stories and trends that matter to market participants
- Write potentially market-moving first versions of stories, quickly and accurately, explaining why news matters
- Collaborate with Bloomberg reporters and editors across the world
- Be a constructive, flexible, and dependable team player
YOU NEED TO HAVE:
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Strong familiarity with social media and ability to evaluate the credibility of information from such sources
- Experience covering financial and business news
- Proven skill at collaborating and working across teams to accomplish goals
- Flexibility with hours and assignments
WE’D ALSO LOVE TO SEE:
- Experience working in a real-time news environment
- Fluency in another language is a plus
- Familiarity with automation, machine learning and/or natural language processing is a plus
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at: https://www.bloomberg.com/company/careers/working-here/news-and-research/?tactic-page=588594
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law. Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org).