Vancouver Bureau Chief
Posted Aug 14, 2023 - Requisition No. 118137
Bloomberg News is looking for an enterprising and versatile journalist to be its bureau chief in Vancouver -- a city that's a magnet for immigration and home to Canada's richest housing market, its busiest export hub and its growing tech, biotech and LNG industries.
We're looking for a reporter who can identify the big stories and themes from Western Canada's largest city and tell them in a way that grabs the attention of our sophisticated global audience.
Vancouver has an economy and demography that are unique in North America. As such, we require a journalist who's flexible and able to work with teams that cover technology, finance, wealth, real estate, the economy, trade and government. Experience with video and television is an asset.
WE'LL TRUST YOU TO:
- Break news and produce high-quality enterprise pieces on trends in the region
- Work tirelessly to build a strong network of contacts with key business and political leaders in British Columbia
- Contribute to all platforms, including Bloomberg Television and our Canadian affiliate, BNN Bloomberg, as well as radio and multimedia
- Persuade executives, government officials and other newsmakers in the region to sit down for interviews that can build on Bloomberg's growing influence
- Work collaboratively with other reporters and editors across the company
YOU WILL NEED:
- Excellent news judgment
- At least 5 years as a reporter in a daily news environment covering business or economics
- Experience working as part of a broader newsroom and an all-hands-on-deck spirit
- Broad knowledge of the region, its place within Canada and its relationship with the US Pacific Northwest
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at: https://www.bloomberg.com/company/careers/working-here/news-and-research/?tactic-page=588594
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for.