Technical Product Manager - Data Lake and Metadata Management
New York, NY
Posted Oct 16, 2023 - Requisition No. 120840
Bloomberg's Enterprise Data department develops data offerings that are considered industry leading by the capital markets community. Across real time market data, reference data, historical pricing data, and unique analytics we strive to deliver:
- The most comprehensive and highest quality content in the industry
- Distribution that is flexible, reliable, fast, and easy to onboard
- Easy to use data that is ready for analysis
These critical datasets serve as the primary source of information across the front, middle, and back office of the most respected capital markets firms across the globe.
What's the Role?
As a Technical Product Manager, you will play a critical role in managing our data lake and metadata products. Your primary focus will be on improving and optimizing our data distribution technology to effectively support the needs of highly distributed enterprise applications that handle and analyze vast volumes of data.
In this role, you will collaborate with engineering teams and leverage big data technologies, including Hadoop, Apache Iceberg, HDFS, S3, etc. to manufacture premium data products. Your responsibilities will include developing strategies and guiding the delivery of innovative solutions that reinforce our market-leading position in providing flexible data distribution. You will work closely with various technology components such as APIs, messaging middleware, system health monitoring tools, access control mechanisms, and cloud infrastructure. These components must meet crucial non-functional requirements such as reliability, scalability, performance, and user-friendliness.
We are seeking a strategic problem solver who actively seeks opportunities to dig deep into the technical details. This person should strongly value all aspects of technology, including APIs, command-line interfaces (CLIs), and tools designed for technologists; not just web-based graphical user interfaces (GUIs).
We'll trust you to:
- Drive new products and features that will be used by our clients
- Work alongside product management colleagues and engineers to define scopes and solve highly complex problems in an agile environment
- Develop user stories and requirements that will lead to new products, new product features, and improve existing products
- Manage the delivery roadmap for your product area and evaluate strategy based on market trends and customer demand
- Represent Bloomberg to our customers, prospects, and vendor partners
- Communicate solutions and roadmaps through meetings and presentations.
- Work with sales and client services to best position and support our solutions.
You'll need to have:
- 7+ years of experience leading technology-focused initiatives including experience incorporating big data technologies*
- Proven understanding of one or more of the following: APIs, service-oriented architectures, architecting solutions for the web, or designing cloud-based solutions
- Demonstrated understanding of the financial markets including the requirements of both buy-side and sell-side systems and services that support the trade lifecycle (e.g., trading and risk systems)
- Demonstrated experience in building, maintenance and retrieval of data in large Data Lakes (1PB or more in size) on-prem or in Cloud (AWS, GCP or Azure)
- Exemplified experience in collecting metadata across products, datasets and fields from several sources and providing a single source of truth service for data discovery and delivery using this metadata
We'd love to see:
- Previous real-world coding experience in Java, C++, Perl, Python, Ruby, or Node JS
- Experience with Hadoop or Spark
- The ability to evaluate the value-added aspects of technically robust solutions and balance them against the need to timely release commercial offerings
- Experience delivering commercial applications in AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud Platform
- Experience with data distribution technologies and data management platforms
- Understanding the importance of tracking, managing, and improving system reliability, availability, scalability, and performance.
*Please note we use years of experience as a guide, but we certainly will consider applications from all candidates who are able to demonstrate the skills necessary for the role.
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we’re a good match. We’ll get in touch with you to let you know the next steps, but in the meantime feel free to browse this: http://www.bloomberg.com/professional.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 140,000 - 295,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus