Data Visualization Team Leader, New York
New York, NY
Posted Oct 18, 2023 - Requisition No. 120903
Bloomberg News is seeking a Team Leader in New York who specializes in data visualization editing and can lead team members in covering news as it unfolds, creating data-driven insights through charting, mapping and other visual forms. We value editors who can identify graphics and visual narratives that help readers understand events as they evolve, collaborate with newsroom colleagues to ensure our team’s contributions to newsroom coverage are coordinated and timely, and inspire data visualization reporters to create clear and informative graphics.
In addition to the New York team, you’ll have opportunities to collaborate with Bloomberg News Data Visualization colleagues in London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taipei, San Francisco and Washington D.C.
Relying on your sound news judgment, refined design sensibilities and technical knowledge, you’ll edit data-driven graphics and visual storytelling driven by news coverage. You’ll coordinate with editors on the Data Visualization team and across the newsroom to understand coverage priorities on varied deadlines as news events unfold. You’ll assign stories — and inspire reporters to generate ideas for graphics and visual narratives — that push our coverage forward, and you’ll deliver clear, actionable feedback as you edit. We value editors who lead by example and pitch in to ensure we publish on deadline. Most of all, we’ll expect you to be a supportive manager — as eager to share your own ideas as you are encouraging of others — who finds reward in elevating and refining the work of the team.
Prior editing or management experience is preferred, but not required. Candidates eager to transition to an editing and management role who can show an extensive background creating news-driven data visualizations and leading collaborative projects are encouraged to apply.
WE’LL TRUST YOU TO:
- Guide reporters to create compelling maps, charts, explanatory diagrams and other graphics in response to news events, both planned and unplanned
- Help reporters follow news as it develops, identifying potential data and visual opportunities for stories that push our coverage forward
- Assign, shape and edit graphics and narrative data visualizations to publication
- Deliver feedback on how to communicate effectively through graphics
- Work efficiently under tight deadlines
- Coordinate with newsroom leaders in the region to understand coverage priorities
- Possess interest in topics core to Bloomberg News coverage — including finance, markets, economics and government policy, among others — and an eagerness to develop subject-matter expertise in these areas
- Support graphics reporters on the team, both by listening to their ideas and helping them achieve their development goals
- Professional experience in a role that produces graphics and data visualizations for publication on tight deadlines
- Experience conceptualizing and structuring visual narratives and writing copy
- Strong communication, project management and other leadership experiences that allow you to effectively edit and manage peers with compassion
- Strong sense of visual design with solid understanding of layout, typography and user experience and familiarity with design software such as Adobe Creative Cloud
- Experience evaluating data sources and assessing data reporting
You’ll have the support of other editors and journalists across our highly-collaborative global graphics team, but your ability to jump into projects and apply these skills will help the team take ownership of critical stories.
If you think you'd be a good fit to join us, submit an application and include a resume, a brief letter telling us about yourself and a portfolio that demonstrates an understanding of data journalism, design and visual storytelling. Include a link to your Github account if you have one.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (mailto:AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net) (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (mailto:EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net) (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (mailto:APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net) (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 120,000 - 160,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus