Content Indexer Specialist - Data Management Lab
Posted Nov 2, 2023 - Requisition No. 121360
Bloomberg runs on data, and in Data we're responsible for acquiring and providing it to our clients. We collect, model, analyze, and publish data which is the backbone of the Bloomberg Terminal. We apply problem-solving skills to identify innovative workflow efficiencies and we implement solutions to enhance our systems, products and processes- all while delivering advanced insights to our clients. We’re responsible for delivering this data, news and analytics through innovative technology - quickly and accurately.
As a member of our News Indexing team, you will be responsible for automated classification of the world's most meaningful financial and economic news with the aim of furthering Bloomberg as a leader in the financial news market. We use proprietary and open-source software to automatically retrieve, parse, coordinate and tag news from social media sites, news feeds, web sites and other sources that run on the Bloomberg Professional Service. We also build and maintain our sophisticated taxonomy of classification tags according to clients’ needs.
We’ll trust you to:
- Use specialized software in order to build hierarchical rules that automatically classify Bloomberg and third-party news, as well as data from social media sites. You have a keen curiosity about news and perform research in order to identify news topics and modify or build news classification rules accordingly
- Identify accurate and reliable news sources and act as subject matter authority for the news product
- Find opportunities to build efficiency in our processes and execute on your ideas
- Collaborate with our partners in Product Strategy, Sales, Analytics and Engineering to understand our clients’ needs and build a best-in-class news product. In addition, you will also partner with our Sales and Analytics groups to promote our news product and ensure strong customer uptake
- Develop innovative processes focused on natural language processing, data science, machine learning, and text analysis as we build the next generation of Bloomberg’s proprietary news classification products
- Understand customer needs and markets to ensure data is fit for purpose, ready for use, and meets service level agreements (SLAs)
- Coordinate and implement fast-paced data annotation and related workflows
- Be responsive, resourceful, flexible and an excellent collaborator
- Contribute to the creation of best practices and guidelines for governance
- Balance the best of technical and product knowledge to implement solutions for customers
- Implement quality control strategies including development of quality control rules
You'll need to have:
- A bachelor's degree in; Finance, Business, Economics, STEM or related degree/equivalent experience
- 4-5 years’ of relevant work experience
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to pay close attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proven understanding of customer service and experience in building internal strong relationships with partners
- 2+ years of project management experience in information management
- Interest/knowledge in financial and economic data and news
- Use sound judgment to escalate issues as they arise
- Ability to adapt to priorities and product needs
- Ability to work in the US without visa sponsorship now or in the future
We'd love to see:
- A bachelor’s degree in subject areas such as Library Science, Linguistics, Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science, Computer Science or other computer-related specialization
- A related Masters Degree
- Knowledge of U.S. market trends, themes and drivers
- Experience working on data science projects and technologies, especially using NLP techniques to take care of unstructured text corpus
- Experience in editing, writing, curating, labeling or assigning news stories
- Demonstrated capability in data management, data processing, data analysis, and/or associated tools and technologies.
- Experience in using categorization, filtering or mining software (such as OpenCalais, Datasift, GNIP, Inxight, IDOL, Verity, Clear Forest, Microsoft Fast)
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 85,000 - 105,000 USD Annually + Benefits