Posted Mar 30, 2010 - Requisition No. 25667
Bloomberg is the world's most trusted source of information for businesses and professionals. Bloomberg combines innovative technology with unmatched analytic, data, news, display and distribution capabilities, to deliver critical information via the BLOOMBERG PROFESSIONAL® service and multimedia platforms. Bloomberg's media services cover the world with more than 2,200 news and multimedia professionals at 146 bureaus in 72 countries. The BLOOMBERG TELEVISION® 24-hour network delivers smart television to more than 240 million homes. BLOOMBERG RADIO® services broadcast via SIRIUS XM Radio and 1worldspaceTM satellite radio globally and on WBBR 1130AM in New York. The award-winning monthly BLOOMBERG MARKETS® magazine, Bloomberg BusinessWeek magazine and the BLOOMBERG.COM® financial news and information Web site provide news and insight to businesses and investors.
Bloomberg is looking for a highly motivated individual to join a newly formed information-retrieval group. As a Librarian/Analyst within this group, you will be part of a team dedicated to helping provide the next generation in Bloomberg Terminal usability to our clients by standardizing, organizing, and ensuring accuracy of keyword databases to support a new information-retrieval system. The successful candidate will apply taxonomy and ontology principles to create and manage metadata to improve `findability¿ of resources, diagnose and fix inconsistencies, solve reference issues, analyze linguistic usage patterns and perform basic data analysis tasks.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience. Masters in Library Science (MLS, MLIS), Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, or related technical discipline is preferred.
- 3 or more years of data analysis experience.
- Experience in use of relational databases, such as Access, MySQL, or Oracle.
- Knowledge of metadata standards such MARC, Dublin Core, etc., and the proven ability to apply metadata to large scale collections of data.
- Demonstrated ability to research and analyze problems and develop solutions.
- Strong analytic and organization skills.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Experience handling financial, economic and discrete content is helpful, but not required.
- Data modeling experience is a plus.