Source Control Engineer
New York, NY
Posted Aug 6, 2010 - Requisition No. 27107
Bloomberg, the global business and financial information and news leader, gives influential decision makers a critical edge by connecting them to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas. The company's strength - delivering data, news and analytics through innovative technology, quickly and accurately - is at the core of the Bloomberg Professional service, which provides real time financial information to more than 300,000 subscribers globally. Bloomberg's enterprise solutions build on the company's core strength, leveraging technology to allow customers to access, integrate, distribute and manage data and information across organizations more efficiently and effectively. Through Bloomberg Law, Bloomberg Government and Bloomberg New Energy Finance, the company provides data, news and analytics to decision makers in industries beyond finance. And Bloomberg News, delivered through television, radio, mobile, the Internet and two magazines, Bloomberg Businessweek and Bloomberg Markets, covers the world with more than 2,300 news and multimedia professionals at 146 bureaus in 72 countries. Headquartered in New York, Bloomberg employs more than 13,000 people in 185 locations around the world.
Bloomberg's Build and Release Engineering group is responsible for source code governance, build systems, and the global software release cycle. We are looking for an experienced Source Control Engineer and developer to design, implement, and support company-wide source repositories, build processes, and code analysis tools.
- Bachelor's Degree or better in Computer Science, Engineering, or related experience
- 5+ years development experience with high-level scripted languages, especially Perl (including object oriented Perl, module design, Perl XS, and DBI). Experience with Python or other high-level languages a plus
- Strong understanding of source control concepts and workflows, source control administration, distributed version control, and the logistics of managing large code bases with many contributors
- Strong understanding of large-scale build processes, packaging, and release management
- Experience with gmake and makefile design. Experience with other build technologies such as Ant, Jam, SCons, and Rake is a plus
- Experience with architecture, design, and implementation of source control processes and policies
- Experience with subversion and git. Experience with other SCM technologies such as Mercurial or Perforce is a plus
- Experience with Unix platforms, especially Solaris, AIX, Linux, and HP-UX
Please note that this is primarily a developer role, with an emphasis on strong architecture and design skills.