Senior Software Developer - Application Infrastructure Programming - C/C++, Unix, Multi-threading, IPC, Sockets
New York, NY
Posted Mar 2, 2011 - Requisition No. 29172
Bloomberg, the global business and financial information and news leader, gives influential decision makers a critical edge by connecting them to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas. The company's strength - delivering data, news and analytics through innovative technology, quickly and accurately- is at the core of the Bloomberg Professional service, which provides real time financial information to more than 300,000 subscribers globally. Bloomberg's enterprise solutions build on the company's core strength, leveraging technology to allow customers to access, integrate, distribute and manage data and information across organizations more efficiently and effectively. Through Bloomberg Law, Bloomberg Government and Bloomberg New Energy Finance, the company provides data, news and analytics to decision makers in industries beyond finance. And Bloomberg News, delivered through television, radio, mobile, the Internet and two magazines, Bloomberg Businessweek and Bloomberg Markets, covers the world with more than 2,300 news and multimedia professionals at 146 bureaus in 72 countries. Headquartered in New York, Bloomberg employs more than 13,000 people in 185 locations around the world.
Bloomberg is looking for a dedicated and driven software developer to join their Application Infrastructure team. This person should have strong technical and programming skills, excellent problem solving skills and an appreciation for the scope and impact of their highly visible work. The team is responsible for building the software infrastructure to support Bloomberg's core products. This includes real-time market data streams, proprietary database systems, information-retrieval engines ("autocomplete"), communication libraries and much more. Day to day tasks involve development and integration of next generation features and working on projects to improve the scalability of new and existing technology.
- 5 + years of C/C++ development experience is essential, as is exposure to the full software development life cycle
- Solid understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Must have expertise in programming in UNIX/Linux
- Working knowledge of development tools such as debuggers, profilers and tracing utilities
- Experience with IPC including sockets
- Hands on multithreading experience, preferably specifically with Posix Threads
- Excellent problem solving and multitasking skills, with a logical and pragmatic attitude
Other desirable skills include:
- Scripting experience, e.g. Perl, Python or Korn shell
- Compiler and linkers experience
- Knowledge of database engines