Open Source Moderator & Administrator - CTO Office
New York, NY
Posted Jun 9, 2011 - Requisition No. 30342
Bloomberg, the global business and financial information and news leader, gives influential decision makers a critical edge by connecting them to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas. The company's strength - delivering data, news and analytics through innovative technology, quickly and accurately - is at the core of the Bloomberg Professional service, which provides real time financial information to more than 300,000 subscribers globally. Bloomberg's enterprise solutions build on the company's core strength, leveraging technology to allow customers to access, integrate, distribute and manage data and information across organizations more efficiently and effectively. Through Bloomberg Law, Bloomberg Government and Bloomberg New Energy Finance, the company provides data, news and analytics to decision makers in industries beyond finance. And Bloomberg News, delivered through television, radio, mobile, the Internet and two magazines, Bloomberg Businessweek and Bloomberg Markets, covers the world with more than 2,300 news and multimedia professionals at 146 bureaus in 72 countries. Headquartered in New York, Bloomberg employs more than 13,000 people in 185 locations around the world.
Bloomberg's CTO Open Source Team acts as a liaison amongst our R&D Software Infrastructure group, internal C/C++ Open Source developers, and external Open Source contributors and consumers. Our primary goal is to develop and set the financial industry standard for Open Source software solutions.
The CTO Open Source Team is looking for a technology enthusiast to help administer, moderate, and manage a forum and be the face of Bloomberg's Open Source development efforts. The successful candidate will work in the CTO Office and closely with the R&D Software Infrastructure group to help build and maintain the site, manage the rules, quickly answer user questions and concerns and keep the site running smoothly. In addition, the candidate should work to promote interest and participation within their forum and will be trained to be knowledgeable on Bloomberg's products and services. The following are critical responsibilities:
- Be the public voice of Bloomberg's Open Source Technology web-site
- Generate the web-site content on various Open Source topics
- Build partnerships and work with internal industry experts on blog posts
- Recruit contributors through various events and sponsorships
- Maintain the website through web development, content updates, and administration
- Moderate the forum discussions amongst C/C++ industry experts
- Post special announcements and calendar events
The ideal candidate must be a team player with proven success in achieving aggressive deadlines. Demonstration of strong passion, excellent communication skills, and creative problem solving is a must. Meticulous attention to detail is necessary. This is a unique opportunity to influence Bloomberg's Open Source products and be Bloomberg's Open Source Evangelist.
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science, Engineering or Related Field (or equivalent expertise)
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communications skills. (Blogging experience is a plus.)
- Strong understanding of Open Source communities and licenses, e.g., GPL versus MIT or Apache
- Strong experience with online communities and internet culture
- Good judgment and common sense
- Standard business hours are expected, however occasional long shifts and flexible hours may be required