Linux Systems Engineer (5+ Years) - R&D NDIS
New York, NY
Posted Jul 5, 2011 - Requisition No. 30578
Bloomberg, the global business and financial information and news leader, gives influential decision makers a critical edge by connecting them to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas. The company's - strength delivering data, news and analytics through innovative technology, quickly and accurately - is at the core of the Bloomberg Professional service, which provides real time financial information to more than 300,000 subscribers globally. Bloomberg's enterprise solutions build on the company's core strength, leveraging technology to allow customers to access, integrate, distribute and manage data and information across organizations more efficiently and effectively. Through Bloomberg Law, Bloomberg Government and Bloomberg New Energy Finance, the company provides data, news and analytics to decision makers in industries beyond finance. And Bloomberg News, delivered through television, radio, mobile, the Internet and two magazines, Bloomberg Businessweek and Bloomberg Markets, covers the world with more than 2,300 news and multimedia professionals at 146 bureaus in 72 countries. Headquartered in New York, Bloomberg employs more than 13,000 people in 185 locations around the world.
Bloomberg's R&D Network Design & Information Security (NDIS) group is responsible for the design, architecture, development and security for Bloomberg¿s internal and client-facing global network, security, and virtualization infrastructure.
The NDIS group is looking for a senior Linux Systems Engineer. The position offers a challenging prospect to work on a wide range of technologies with the primary focus being on Linux systems engineering and integration. You will be working in a highly creative and innovative team environment alongside systems/network designers, architects, as well as network security and integration specialists.
The Linux Systems Engineer will be responsible for:
- Enhancing and promoting the Linux platform as a foundation for the wide range of Bloomberg products and services
- Architecting and building a maintainable platform of Linux systems and services
- Securing diverse and interconnected systems and services
- Facilitating extensive monitoring of systems and applications
- Work with development teams to design, integrate, and troubleshoot applications
- Escalated/Advanced troubleshooting of cross-discipline issues
This individual will work closely with internal application development teams to understand how an application functions and the Linux system based solutions required in supporting it. The candidate must possess a strong ability to multitask effectively, prioritize tasks in a high-pressure environment, and work in team environment.
- Undergraduate or Graduate degree in Computer Science or other computer-related specializations
- Proven track record of designing and automating the deployment of large numbers of Linux systems
- Strong knowledge of identifying, troubleshooting and resolving system level issues
- Strong knowledge of popular Linux distributions, e.g. RedHat, CentOS, and Ubuntu
- Strong knowledge of various techniques of resource and system optimization on the Linux platform
- Strong knowledge of network protocols, e.g. HTTP(S), SMTP, SMB, RPC, TFTP, SNMP, DHCP
- Strong scripting knowledge using ksh, perl, python or ruby
- Proficient with day to day system administration tasks including package management and deployment
- Experience with various open source software and development tools