Data Visualization Designer
New York, NY
Posted Mar 26, 2015 - Requisition No. 45223
Bloomberg is looking for an experienced Data Visualization Designer to join our User Experience team. This person will lead a design-driven process to create the visualizations and analytic capabilities that form the foundation of the Bloomberg Terminal, a suite of tools that enable financial professionals and decision-makers to understand world markets and news. This process will involve designing visualizations for applications, widgets, and platform patterns across Bloomberg's suite of professional products.
The role will encompass the research activities necessary to form an understanding of user needs and tasks, as well as the presentation and communication of concepts and solutions through sketches, wireframes, user workflows, and simple data-driven prototypes. Succeeding in this role will require an ability to understand and communicate the complex relationships between markets, governments, businesses, and people hidden in huge datasets. Responsibilities also include defining a common set of visualization patterns and languages to drive Bloomberg's entire professional suite of products.
The Data Visualization Designer will work with an interdisciplinary team of designers, developers, data scientists, subject-matter experts, and product managers to implement and deploy data visualization tools and should be prepared to pitch concepts to senior stakeholders.
- Minimum 5 years of industry experience with a focus on interactive data visualization, information visualization, information graphics, or related fields.
- Ability to rapidly iterate through conceptual ideas or designs and effectively communicate these using low- to medium-fidelity prototypes, such as sketches, paper prototypes, wireframes, storyboards, interactive click-throughs etc.
- Strategic project leadership: experience leading projects through concept, pitch, iterative design and development, delivery, and ongoing support
- Prior experience working in an interdisciplinary team of developers, designers, and/or subject-matter experts.
- Ability to communicate with and present to stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
- Undergraduate/Graduate Degree or equivalent experience in any of the following fields: Information Design, Interaction Design, User Experience, Human-Computer Interaction, Graphic design, Statistics, Quantitative Finance, Data science and Analytics.
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Familiarity with visual analysis software e.g. Tableau Spotfire, Qlik, VisIt.
- Familiarity with high-fidelity visualization prototyping tools such as d3.js, Processing, three.js, ggplot2/R, Python or similar.
- Financial background or experience.
- Experience designing for desktop & mobile and 2D & 3D data visualizations.
Application & Portfolio:
We would like to see examples of interactive data visualizations, information visualizations, or information graphics you have designed. Your visualization portfolio may include, but is not limited to: sketches, wireframes, user workflows, interactive prototypes, and production software. We are especially interested in how you have leveraged interaction to allow users to explore and understand complex datasets. Please include at least two projects in which you can give us a "deep-dive" into the user workflow and your design process.
Please provide the portfolio link in your application. If you require an alternate method of showing your work (e.g. emailing it, through an online real-time screen-share or in person) we will contact you to make arrangements.
Please do not, without proper consent, share or disclose to Bloomberg any confidential or proprietary information that you may have obtained in connection with employment with any other employer, or which may be considered the Work Product of any another individual or entity.
Bloomberg, the global business and financial information and news leader, gives influential decision makers a critical edge by connecting them to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas. The company's strength - delivering data, news and analytics through innovative technology, quickly and accurately - is at the core of the Bloomberg Professional service, which provides real time financial information to more than 300,000 subscribers globally. Bloomberg's enterprise solutions build on the company's core strength, leveraging technology to allow customers to access, integrate, distribute and manage data and information across organizations more efficiently and effectively. Through Bloomberg Law, Bloomberg Government and Bloomberg New Energy Finance, the company provides data, news and analytics to decision makers in industries beyond finance. And Bloomberg News, delivered through television, radio, mobile, the Internet and two magazines, Bloomberg Businessweek and Bloomberg Markets, covers the world with more than 2,300 news and multimedia professionals at 146 bureaus in 72 countries. Headquartered in New York, Bloomberg employs more than 13,000 people in 185 locations around the world.