Bloomberg Government, Legislative Analyst
Posted Mar 10, 2016 - Requisition No. 49064
When government is at its best, diverse ideas are at work. The same is true of Bloomberg Government. Our ability to innovate and serve our clients means diversity and inclusion are essential. If you're eager to join a multi-dimensional team that celebrates and leverages difference, if you have the vision to see how information can transform "business as usual" and if you are hungry to create-to build a service transforming how things get done-then stop reading this and join our team.
Delivering news, analytics and data-driven decision tools, Bloomberg Government's digital workspace gives an intelligent edge to government affairs and contracting professionals influencing government action.
Individuals who embrace hard work, act with urgency and collaborate without reserve thrive at Bloomberg Government. You are on the front lines of revolutionizing the information services industry in Washington-as high as our expectations will be of you, yours must be higher. We are a start-up, backed and nurtured by the powerful incubation of the worldwide leader in information services, Bloomberg L.P. If you are dogged, innovative and interested in work that contributes to causes greater than yourself, you belong at Bloomberg Government.
We are looking for a candidate who can write legislative analysis and who will work with the director of legislative analysis and the team to develop content about public policy for Bloomberg Government. Analysts also work with the Congress Tracker team and other staff to cover legislation moving through Congress. The successful candidate will produce rich, in-depth analysis on the implications of government action, with a focus on congressional activity.
You need to be able to:
- Write summaries of pending legislation, including appropriations bills
- Own a group of issue areas while contributing to coverage of other legislation as assigned
- Work with news and data staff to enhance congressional coverage, including contributing to the What to Watch feature and other items
- Follow the legislative process in committees and the House and Senate floors, closely monitoring relevant events
- Observe the perspectives of businesses and outside groups on legislation and identifying legislation that could affect particular industries
- Translate complex issues and breaking down jargon into plain language that is easily comprehended
- Participate in webinars and other forums to discuss legislative developments
- Partner with government affairs analysts to enhance BGOV's analysis of the business of lobbying
Successful applicants will have experience following legislation as it moves through the process, either through direct experience on Capitol Hill, at trade associations, lobbying shops, or in a media organization. We're also seeking demonstrated experience as a writer capable of quickly producing clear, concise and accurate analyses of legislation for readers with varied levels of expertise or knowledge.
You need to have:
- BA in political science, government, economics or finance, or equivalent work experience
- At least five years' experience as an analyst, editor, reporter, or consultant
- Experience with appropriations process required, knowledge of areas such as tax and budget policy are a plus
- Superior writing and the ability to translate complex material into insightful content
- Ability to understand and explain details while also providing a high-level summary
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to grow professionally and a strong desire to learn
- Able to thrive in an entrepreneurial and fast paced environment
- Demonstrable attention to detail and organizational skills
- Good communicator, strong collaborator and team player
- Accustomed to an open-door office setting
- Strong quantitative skills and proficiency with Microsoft Excel
- Knowledge of business and finance a plus
Bloomberg, the global business, financial information and news leader, gives influential decision makers a critical edge by connecting them to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas. The company's strength - delivering data, news and analytics through innovative technology, quickly and accurately - is at the core of the Bloomberg Professional service, which provides real time financial information to more than 315,000 subscribers globally. Bloomberg's enterprise solutions build on the company's core strength, leveraging technology to allow customers to access, integrate, distribute and manage data and information across organizations more efficiently and effectively. Through Bloomberg Government and Bloomberg New Energy Finance, the company provides data, news and analytics to decision makers in industries beyond finance. And Bloomberg News, delivered through television, radio, mobile, the Internet and two magazines, Bloomberg Businessweek and Bloomberg Markets, covers the world with more than 2,300 news and multimedia professionals at 146 bureaus in 72 countries. Headquartered in New York, Bloomberg employs more than 13,000 people in 185 locations around the world.