Foundational Services - Senior Hadoop Developer
New York, NY
Posted Jun 23, 2016 - Requisition No. 50165
Our problems are common yet complex. Bloomberg's application teams face challenges of large-scale data storage, low-latency retrievals, high volume requests and high availability over a distributed environment. We create standardized solutions to these problems by building core services and technology frameworks for enterprise-wide use.
As an experienced Hadoop developer, you will help us refresh and evolve many facets of our data and analytics infrastructure for three of these systems: the Bloomberg Data Platform (BDP), Price History and Bloomberg Query Language (BQL). BDP is an initiative to help standardize the storage backends and structure data flows across our systems to improve discoverability and data provenance. Price History is our canonical end of day time series datastore. BQL is a distributed analytics framework that allows internal and external users to express complex data retrieval, analytics and screening criteria.
All of Bloomberg's data flows through these systems. You'll gain exposure to our financial data sets and how they're used while building high performance, low-latency, scalable software for these core infrastructure initiatives. Much of these applications are being built on top of open source Hadoop technologies, so there are plenty of avenues to innovate and contribute to the open source community.
We'll trust you to:
- Take ownership of a component of the BQL, Price History or BDP platform
- Interact with development teams across Bloomberg and understand their application requirements and access patterns
- Design and develop systems that meet our latency, volume, storage and scale expectations
- Participate in daily scrums to help influence architectural decisions
You must have:
- 5+ years of experience programming in Java
- 3+ years of experience with Hadoop/HDFS/MapReduce
- 3+ years of experience with NoSQL data stores (preferably HBase or Cassandra)
- Experience developing, enhancing and maintaining high throughput, low-latency Hadoop systems in a mission-critical production environment
- Experience working in a Test Driven and Agile development environment
We'd love to see:
- Experience enhancing and maintaining mission-critical software in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with Spark, Kafka, Oozie, Zookeeper, Flume or Storm
Do you want to build systems that impact the whole company? Apply below! You can also learn more about Hadoop at Bloomberg by checking out our presentations at the following conferences: