New York, NY
Posted Aug 11, 2016 - Requisition No. 53333
Here’s what it’s like to work on the Graphics Team at Bloomberg:
You sit inside Bloomberg’s bustling, buzzing newsroom on Lexington Avenue, where you’re surrounded by towering windows, massive art installations, dozens of fish tanks, an inexplicable selection of snacks—whole avocados, Lucky Charms—and 900 of the most ambitious and creative journalists on the planet.
The graphics team is a tight-knit group of about 30 reporters, researchers, designers and developers in New York, London and Hong Kong, and we work hard together. Very together. We help each other out. We stick our noses in each others’ business. We bunch up around each others’ screens to solve problems, toss around ideas, beat misbehaving spreadsheets into submission and make our graphics sharper, smarter and more beautiful. We’re competitive with news, not with each other. Everyone pulls more than her and his own weight and is quick to help a colleague out of a jam. We like one another. We have fun.
You’ll be challenged every day, and you’ll do work you’re proud of. We place high expectations on ourselves to be excellent: to explain numbers, wring clarity from confusion and use data to tell compelling stories about business, markets, finance, technology, the economy and politics & policy that other news organizations don’t or can’t do. We experiment and take design risks. We’re continually seeking out new ways to inform, educate, surprise and delight our audience. We embrace complexity and wrestle with important issues. We don’t do clickbait and we don’t do worthy-but-dull.
You’ll collaborate with journalists across the globe on a wide variety of projects, from crisp, clean breaking news charts to full-blown interactive graphic features. You’ll have access to Bloomberg’s incredible resources—not least the world’s most astonishing array of data—and colleagues with expertise on just about every subject. Your work will be seen by millions and millions of people. You’ll have the backing of editors who pay attention to you, your work and your time. You’ll be busy as heck, but you won’t be buried.
Sound good? To be successful in this job, you’ll need:
- A solid journalism background with experience working in graphics or design, preferably for a digital publication.
- An exceptional curiosity and strong news judgment.
- A desire to collaborate with others.
- Comfort with juggling multiple projects of different lengths on a variety of subjects.
- An ability to meet deadlines and handle deadline pressure gracefully.
- A strong visual sensibility and interest in designing across platforms.
- A desire and passion to experiment with digital storytelling.
- 2+ years of experience creating multimedia infographics
- Knowledge of data visualization and UI design
- Experience with QGis, ArcGIS, Topojson
- Expertise in standard design tools (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop)
If this sounds like you:
Let’s talk! Submit an application via our career website. Include a resume, a brief letter telling us about yourself and a portfolio that demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of data journalism and online graphics design and development.
If we think you're a good match, we'll get in touch with you to let you know next steps.