Senior Java Engineer - Communication Channel Search
New York, NY
Posted May 29, 2018 - Requisition No. 67321
The Communication Channels team builds products used by the Bloomberg community for real-time communication such as exchanging quotes, trade ideas, news and other financial information. Our email (MSG) and instant message (IB) products deliver more than a billion messages per day, and have a very broad user-base, comprising of asset managers, brokers, traders, financial analysts and desks across all asset classes. Our users rely on these products because of their real-time performance, massive scale, ironclad security, tight integration with financial data and applications on the Bloomberg Terminal, and, most importantly, singular access to the Bloomberg network of 350,000 financial professionals.
Search is a major component of our communications products. Our search infrastructure services millions of queries per day in real time. Unlike traditional e-mail and instant messaging platforms, where there are many users who receive a relatively small number of e-mails and posts, MSG and IB serve clients who receive more than 10,000 per day. In order to give our clients better tools to find what they need and surface other meaningful information, we have to provide more than the standard search features, thus the search system has to support complicated queries. In the coming years, we are building a brand new search platform to meet the evolving needs of our clients. Our goal is to build a scalable system based on Solr that can support our performance requirements of today and tomorrow, and can support additional features to meet our client's needs.
That’s where you come in; as part of our team, you’ll roll up your sleeves, collaborate, and deliver real solutions to clients across the entire financial world.
We’ll trust you to:
- Explore Solr and other technologies (e.g. C++, Kafka) to tackle problems
- Collaborate with other MSG&IB teams, as well as other stakeholders of our search system
- Scale Solr to our needs, including improving Solr software if necessary
You will need to have:
- Experience with high volume and high availability large scale real-time distributed systems
- 3+ years of experience programming in Java
- An aptitude for analytical problem solving
We'd love to see:
- Familiarity with search engine, Solr as a bonus
- Experience with Agile software development methodologies
- Interest in collaborating with other teams