Energy Storage Analyst - Bloomberg NEF - Beijing
Posted Jun 8, 2018 - Requisition No. 67522
We are seeking a talented, highly-motivated individual to join our analysis team. You’re someone with a real passion for the electrification of transport and clean energy, who wants to be at the forefront of these exciting industries. You naturally form creative opinions, and you have an extraordinary ability to communicate these to your audience. Your quantitative skills are strong, and you love to delve into complex subjects and build your own network in the industry. Teamwork is meaningful to you, and you are excited by the prospect of working with colleagues and clients from a diverse range of backgrounds.
You will be based in our Beijing office, working as part of our energy storage research team at Bloomberg NEF. Bloomberg NEF (BNEF) is a leading provider of primary research on clean energy, advanced transport, digital industry, innovative materials, and commodities.
With a team of experts spread across six continents, BNEF leverages the world’s most sophisticated data sets to create clear perspectives and in-depth forecasts that frame the financial, economic and policy implications of industry-transforming trends and technologies.
Available online, on mobile and on the Terminal, BNEF is powered by Bloomberg’s global network of 19,000 employees in 176 locations, reporting 5,000 news stories a day. Visit https://about.bnef.com/ or request more information.
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
We'll trust you to:
- Become an authority on the rapidly growing energy storage industry, including the battery supply chain and the Chinese energy storage market. You’ll be at the forefront of covering China’s leading role in battery manufacturing and the potential for storage uptake in the country.
- Write and publish reports in English and Chinese about the battery supply chain, including detailed analysis on battery design, manufacturing processes, and the subsequent impact on cost and competitiveness.
- Work closely with colleagues to develop insights on the Chinese energy storage market, covering major policy developments, economic analysis, company profiling and market player strategies.
- Engage with clients and industry figures regularly in both English and Chinese.
What's the role:
- You will join as an analyst in Beijing with a specific focus on the battery supply chain and the Chinese energy storage market
- As part of the global energy storage team, you will identify topics of interest to clients, conduct research, and produce written reports on the findings
- Collaborate with a high degree of integrity with colleagues and clients from different cultures and countries. You will be expected to work closely with colleagues focused on the electrification of transport and China’s power markets.
- Develop a network of contacts in the industry in order to check assumptions and get non-confidential data
- Gather and organize data on battery manufacturing, electric vehicle uptake and stationary energy storage
- Clearly communicate your research to clients and prospects
You'll need to have:
- Interest in and enthusiasm for clean energy technologies and the electrification of transport
- Extraordinary communication skills in both English and Chinese: writing (for research reports) and speaking (presentations, conferences, to clients, or to the media).
- Graduate degree in a scientific, engineering, economics or humanities discipline
- Confidence conducting numerical analysis
- Ability to think critically and develop thoughtful opinions by cutting through the noise of data, extracting key patterns, applying skepticism to the claims of industry participants and asking insightful questions
- Natural aptitude for graphically presenting data and writing clearly and concisely
- Curiosity and the ability to quickly understand, distill and relate complex topics to non-specialist audiences
- Confidence conducting research calls and communicating with senior industry contacts and academics
- Excellent time management skills and confidence working on multiple projects at once
We'd love to see:
- Knowledge of supply chain and manufacturing processes
- Some knowledge of electrochemical energy storage technologies, particularly lithium-ion
- Interest in chemistry and materials science
- Confidence with mathematical and accounting calculations
If this sounds like you:
Apply. If we believe you're a good match we'll get in touch to let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.