Senior Systems Engineer - Bloomberg Philanthropies
New York, NY
Posted Jul 18, 2018 - Requisition No. 68217
Bloomberg Philanthropies works to create catalytic change across five areas of focus: arts and culture, education, the environment, government innovation, and public health. Our mission is to ensure better, longer lives for the greatest number of people. Our approach is rooted in Mike Bloomberg's unique experience and success across the field of business, government, and philanthropy.
The Infrastructure Engineering team is focused on managing the core technology infrastructure and enterprise systems that support the users. The team also empowers the Application Development, Security and Desktop Team.
What’s The Role:
Seeking an individual with advanced system engineering skill set to join our team. The role is focused on project delivery as well as strategic planning. As the current team is small you will need to be able to move between numerous responsibilities and technology platforms, prioritizing accordingly, in order to support a fast moving business.
With Your Help We'll:
- Create the tools that automate, monitor and scale our infrastructure
- Make our systems more elastic, responsive and automatically balanced
- Partner with application engineers on development and infrastructure improvement tasks.
- Deploy new solutions including identity management and security solutions
- Upgrade, maintain and support existing legacy technology
- Help plan our transition to the next generation of our architecture
We’ll Trust You To:
- Independently manage and implement projects while working with the broader IT team to gather requirements and design solutions
- Implement and maintain standards and processes including rollout and support documentation and post implementation operational support
- Provide escalation support for key mission-critical infrastructure (such as Exchange, Active Directory, VMWare).
You’ll Need to Have:
- 7+ years of experience as a Systems Engineer working with both on premise and cloud infrastructure and systems including:
- Virtualization (VMware vSphere & vCenter)
- Hosted/Cloud Email (Exchange 2013/2016 mixed environments, and/or hybrid Exchange Online)
- MS Active Directory design, administration, maintenance and troubleshooting
- Remote Access (Citrix Xendesktop/Netscaler)
- Backup Software (Symantec Backup Exec/Veeam)
- Server and Storage systems (HP/Cisco UCS/EMC)
- FC and iSCSI Storage Area Networks
- Hybrid Cloud with either AWS/Azure experience
- Excellent communication\coordination skills while working with 3rd party vendors
- Experience with disaster recovery planning and testing
We’d Love To See:
- Familiarity with Server Security Best Practices
- Experience and understanding of the network stack as it pertains to system engineering\architecture
- Experience with SCCM or LanDesk
- PowerShell knowledge
- Current Microsoft or VMware certifications
What’s in it for you:
Ability to make an impact: You will drive and own highly visible and widely used technology that are consistently relied on all our users. Exposure to technical challenges: by working on a small team, you’ll be working with more wide variety of technology and not a single platform or vendor. Ownership and autonomy: You'll be responsible for the full project life-cycle, from idea generation to deployment, documentation and maintenance. Increased responsibility is awarded based on merit (which we're quick to recognize) and the priorities you're most excited about. Your success is measured based on your impact, not through micro-management or face time. An environment that supports your development: Asking questions is extremely encouraged and collaboration is key. On any given day you can attend an internal meetup, check out our e-learning platform, or attend an external conference.
Bloomberg Philanthropies is an equal opportunities employer and we value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Compensation will be commensurate with experience and accomplishment.