Bloomberg NEF European Power Transition Analyst - London
Posted Aug 3, 2018 - Requisition No. 68563
We are seeking a talented, highly motivated individual to join our European Power Transition analysis team as an entry-level analyst based in London. You're one of those people who have a real passion for energy markets, and you want to be at the forefront of this exciting industry. You naturally form original opinions, and you have an exceptional ability to communicate these to your audience. Your quantitative skills are strong, and you love to analyze critically complex subjects. Teamwork is important to you, and you are excited by the prospect of working with colleagues and clients from a diverse range of backgrounds.
What's the role?
As part of the European Power Transition team, you will produce high quality quantitative and qualitative analysis using BNEF’s data-driven approach. You will combine this with the insights generated by the BNEF wind, solar, electrified transport, energy storage, digital industry and other teams to help clients understand the strategic issues surrounding the evolution of the European power industry and what that means for the players in it. This will focus in particular on the following research areas:
1/ Power market analysis: how do price dynamics evolve as the makeup of the system changes and what does this mean for investors?
2/ Carbon market analysis: the EU carbon market has recently surged back into life. How will prices go from here and what does this mean for power generators and other emitters?
3/ Power market design: how should we pay for electricity in the future to guarantee the desired outcome of a clean, cheap and reliable grid as the line between generators and consumers blurs and increasing amounts of energy is produced ‘for free’?
4/ Utility business models: how are utilities responding to the changes in their industries? What strategies are they choosing?
We'll trust you to:
- Contribute both qualitative and quantitative, innovative research on energy markets, systems and companies
- Help maintain the quality of BNEF’s datasets
- Constantly strive to improve and innovate on our research
- Independently produce high-quality reports
- Liaise directly with clients and commercial prospects, answering requests, supporting our sales efforts and presenting research results
- Together with other team members, identify topics of interest to clients, conduct research, and report on the findings in a timely manner
- Develop and implement market-driving products, data sets, forecasts, and tools
- Collaborate with a high degree of integrity with colleagues and clients from different cultures and countries
- Promote a high degree of knowledge leadership in the market
- Develop a network of contacts in the industry and promote/represent BNEF across a wide variety of senior partners
- Contribute to one-off pieces of consultancy on specific topics
- Present your research at conferences and clearly communicate it to clients and prospects
You’ll need to have:
- Intellectual curiosity and passion for the future of the energy system
- Think critically and creatively about an issue to form original, data-backed opinions
- Articulate your findings clearly and confidently whether in writing, orally or graphically
- An undergraduate level degree (preferably, but not necessarily, numerate or science-based)
- Strong quantitative skills including complex numerical modelling (this will be under extra scrutiny if you don’t have a numerate or science-based degree)
- High ability in MS Office, especially MS Excel (comfortable with complex formulas)
- Fluent written and spoken English
- A high work rate, highly organized, able to prioritise and work on parallel tasks and have rigorous attention to detail
We'd love to see:
- A degree, Master’s or PhD in a subject relevant to this application, or work experience in this area;
- Ability to speak another European language
- Knowledge of any of: statistics, finance, commodity markets, economics, engineering
- Proficiency in python, SQL, VBA or similar programming ability
- Experience building complex numerical models
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this:
Bloomberg NEF (BNEF) is a leading provider of primary research on clean energy, advanced transport, digital industry, innovative materials, and commodities. With a team of experts spread across six continents, BNEF leverages the world’s most sophisticated data sets to create clear perspectives and in-depth forecasts that frame the financial, economic and policy implications of industry-transforming trends and technologies.
Available online, on mobile and on the Terminal, BNEF is powered by Bloomberg’s global network of 19,000 employees in 176 locations, reporting 5,000 news stories a day. Visit https://about.bnef.com/ or request more information.
BNEF Team Ethos:
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.