Posted Nov 30, 2018 - Requisition No. 72278
The energy of a newsroom. The pace of a trading floor. We work hard and we work fast, moving markets and chronicling the rise and fall of the people who make them. We are known for our quality, accuracy and ability to deliver news investors can use.
We're seeking an experienced reporter for our Tokyo office to cover Japan's financial services industry. The successful candidate will be responsible for covering the country's banks, fintech upstarts and regulators as well as breaking news on major M&A deals.
You'd be expected to have a good understanding of Japan's financial industry, including markets and regulatory issues. You should know how to pinpoint quickly the key issues in a bank's balance sheet. Contacts among the sector's key decision-makers, including regulators, senior bank officials and investors, would be a critical advantage.
You would be part of a broader team that reports on the financial industry across the Asia-Pacific region, while working in close cooperation with reporters and editors in the Tokyo bureau. You'll do everything from breaking the news, to producing smart graphics and longer-form narratives, as well as contributing to our magazine, television and web platforms.
We'll trust you to:
- Deliver accurate and sharp stories under tight deadlines
- Generate analysis covering both dynamic developments in short format and long-term trends and insights, that don't just focus on the "what happened" but also on the "why" and "so what"
- Tap Bloomberg's rich data and analytics to access creative material for technical charts and stories
- Collaborate with reporters across the newsroom and the finance teams
You’ll need to have:
- A Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Reporting experience, preferably covering financial markets or companies
- Strong work ethic, ability to work steadily and calmly under pressure
- Strong attention to detail
- A collaborative spirit and the drive to innovate and experiment
- Fluency in Japanese
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/about
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status