Egypt & North Africa Bureau Chief, Bloomberg News - Cairo
Posted Dec 12, 2018 - Requisition No. 72490
Bloomberg is seeking an experienced journalist to lead our team of reporters in Egypt and North Africa and drive our coverage, with a focus on the geopolitical and economic upheavals roiling this energy-rich region.
Based in Cairo, the bureau chief is responsible for news and enterprise in five countries; from Libya, where political divisions threaten vital oil exports, to Egypt, which is nearing the end of an IMF-backed reform program, to Tunisia, where the Arab Spring protests began.
We're looking for a natural leader who can make a fast judgment call on breaking news, edit copy and write the big story of the day with authority, untangling complex issues for a global audience. You'll be comfortable managing staff, nurturing younger reporters and getting the best out of stringers working in often-difficult or dangerous environments.
Key to this role is our coverage of the economy -- particularly in Egypt -- and the geopolitical developments that drive frontier and emerging markets. You will be first and foremost a journalist; building sources on this important beat, writing your own authoritative stories and working with reporters to produce scoops and innovative enterprise.
We'll trust you to:
- Manage the operation day to day; this includes administrative duties such as ensuring reporters are accredited, contingency plans are in place and staff logistics are taken care of
- Oversee the daily news flow; ensure we are fast on breaking news, plan coverage of set-piece events and supervise quality from Egypt & North Africa
- Lead from the front with your own stand-out reporting on the economy and politics of Egypt. We want you to develop your own sources and leverage your expertise to ensure our economic and political coverage is unrivalled
- Work closely with reporters and other managers to develop innovative and timely enterprise stories
- File headlines when needed and write, edit or oversee the top stories of the day in coordination with other managers
You must have:
- Excellent news judgement
- Extensive experience covering economics or geopolitics; preferably both and preferably in a real time news environment
- A flair for writing and editing
- Strong organisational skills; prior management experience is a plus
- Prior knowledge of the region and fluency in Arabic is highly desirable; French is a plus
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think you're a good match and we'll get in touch with you to let you know next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.