Data Engineer - Contributed Research
New York, NY
Posted Jan 11, 2019 - Requisition No. 72902
At Bloomberg, our products are fueled by powerful information. We combine data and context to paint the whole picture for our clients, around the clock – from around the world. In Global Data, we’re responsible for delivering this data, news and analytics through innovative technology - quickly and accurately.
Our team is at the forefront of designing, building and supporting the systems that power the contribution of research content to the Bloomberg platform. We partner closely with our team of technical account managers, content specialists, research contributors and business stakeholders to deliver creative software tools and solutions every day. This is not just any python development role! Your multifaceted abilities and efforts will help us on-board new providers in diverse markets around the globe, and empower content acquisition professionals to identify new possibilities and opportunities for research data content.
What’s the role?
We have an exciting opportunity for an astute technical and client oriented professional like you, to join our New York team. This Python development role is supported by a unique three month market experience program working in our research contributions team. This will allow you to get first-hand experience with all the challenges faced by our research business. Through this program, you will become fully equipped with the knowledge necessary to take full end to end ownership of identifying problems in the contributed research space through data analysis and product discovery techniques. This will lead you to design and build systems using modern Python in a micro- services architecture that solve these problems and enable you to directly realize a significant and measurable impact to the business.
For the first three months, you will:
- Gain exposure to investment research content acquisition. You’ll learn how we get it, how we selectively distribute it, and how our customers discover it.
- Learn about our customers, product offerings, and operational best practices.
- Proactively partner with internal customers and utilize business intelligence to help spot trends, identify gaps and opportunities.
- Ensure content is delivered to Bloomberg in the optimized fashion.
- Own implementation of new content projects from start to finish.
- Collaborate with content providers to suggest areas of improvements as it relates to headline composition, tagging and content positioning to our mutual clients.
- Build influential and meaningful working relationships.
After this rotation, we’ll trust you to:
- Develop a complete understanding of our problems by being deeply embedded with our business teams, meeting clients and data contributors and learning how the world's largest financial data operation works.
- Be empowered to solve business problems through quantifiable objectives, with the freedom to design workflows and select the right technologies for the job.
- Write code to develop robust and scalable technology solutions for data management problems using modern micro services, databases and user interface technology through test-driven and iterative processes.
As a valued member of our team, you’ll need to have:
- A BA/BS degree or higher in Engineering, Information Systems, Mathematics, or relevant data technology field, or equivalent experience.
- Up to two years of professional work experience in information technology, engineering, or data analysis.
- Minimum 2 years of production level coding, with advanced Python programming proficiency outside of academia.
- Aptitude for problem solving, particularly to modify and enhance processes and workflows.
- Communication, communication, communication! (Especially when explaining technical processes and solutions to customers internally and externally).
- System design skills with competency both in back-end and UI.
- Passion for data, and the know-how to wrangle large amounts of data.
- Knowledge of tests, linting and version control.
- Willingness to be outside of your comfort zone, and adaptability.
- A can-do attitude with intellectual curiosity.
- Ability to legally work in the US without visa sponsorship.
We’d love to see:
- Understanding of the financial markets, in particular sell-side content distribution.
- Knowledge of Tableau, QlikSense or similar technologies.
Does this sound like you?
Apply! We’ll get in touch and let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.