Social Media Reporter
San Francisco, CA
Posted Feb 19, 2019 - Requisition No. 73687
Bloomberg News is one of the biggest and most influential news organizations in the world. Our Global Technology team leads the way in breaking news about the companies that are changing the world and the people who run them. We're seeking a talented, aggressive and creative reporter to join our award-winning team of reporters covering social media companies in San Francisco.
Who we're looking for:
You're an experienced, agile reporter with a deep knowledge of the technology industry and its most important companies and executives, especially Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and their upstart rivals. You have an eye for the stories no one else is telling on a high-profile beat, and know how to break news, write on deadline, and spot fresh takes on emerging trends. You can write with authority about the ways in which the biggest tech companies offer their services for free and yet extract a significant price in the form of personal data, a dynamic that customers and regulators often don't fully understand and may not be comfortable with. You’re versatile enough to write for a variety of platforms, including the web, Bloomberg terminal and Businessweek magazine. You are also able to react quickly and write clearly and crisply on the most pressing news of the day, be it the latest data leak, regulatory challenges, a plummeting or soaring stock, a management overhaul or a transformative acquisition. You're the type of reporter who has a knack for finding scoops and quickly coming up with original ideas and smart analysis on that news to keep our readers a step ahead of the market. You feel equally comfortable writing quick-turnaround stories that will serve our everyday customers as you do carefully researching and crafting complex, long-form narratives and investigative projects that bring new ideas to light and have a strong and lasting impact. You work well as part of a reporting squad, and your top priority is contributing to the overall success of the team.
We'll trust you to:
- Cover breaking news with speed and accuracy
- Write original, feature-length stories about social media and digital advertising, the companies and culture at the center of the technology industry, and the forces that are reshaping the industry
- Lean on existing sources and develop new ones to generate intelligent, impactful news
- Collaborate with reporters and editors on the Global Technology team and others across teams and regions
- Be committed to the best journalistic practices, sound judgment and a willingness to learn
You'll need to have:
- Minimum of three years of business and financial journalism experience
- Strong knowledge of and interest in technology and social media companies
- A solid track record of breaking news and a portfolio of long-form investigative features
- Experience working in a real-time news environment
- The ability to write quickly and concisely under deadline pressure
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.