Senior Compliance Officer - Indices
New York, NY
Posted Mar 20, 2019 - Requisition No. 74277
Bloomberg’s Legal Department plays a critical role in supporting our businesses and operations around the world. We move quickly and thoughtfully to help address a variety of complex legal issues that come with being the world’s leading financial news and information company. Our team is made up of talented and hardworking professionals who think creatively and work collaboratively in an open environment to deliver results, drive innovation, and solve difficult problems. Diversity and inclusion are essential to our success, and we strive to maintain an environment where our employees are empowered to make an impact. We also recognize the value of diversity and inclusion in cultivating a supportive workplace and the importance of giving back to our communities as evidenced by our award-winning pro bono program.
The Global Compliance team within Bloomberg’s Legal Department provides coverage of Bloomberg's regulated entities and products including support for Bloomberg's non-regulated products and services. We work to ensure compliance with current/developing rules and regulations, and correspond with regulators. Bloomberg has regulated activities that include regulated trading venues (e.g., UK Multilateral Trading Facility, US Swap Execution Facility), MIFID II benchmark activities, a US Broker-Dealer, and other regulated offerings globally.
Bloomberg is looking for an expert to join the Americas Compliance team in New York, acting as the Indices Compliance Officer (Americas lead).
In this role, you will support our global Indices business, which offers benchmarks and strategies. This is a unique team, which utilizes the diverse skills and experience of all members to succeed in covering many different products and regulatory requirements. The role will also focus on the new European Benchmark Regulations ("BMR") and requires significant regulatory knowledge and experience with regards to Indices benchmarks and products within the financial markets. You should also be familiar with US and European rules and requirements, and be able to implement Compliance policies, governance and controls.
It offers an environment for you to share knowledge and experiences, and to develop individually in a company that encourages collaboration and partnership working alongside the team that covers Research and Valuations Compliance.
We'll trust you to:
- Review, update and draft Compliance policies
- Prepare and implement procedures manuals
- Provide advisory compliance services to the business
- Develop and streamline new and existing Compliance processes
- Identify potential enhancements in processes and play a role to implement system changes
- Respond to regulatory inquiries and lead regulatory relationships with the Compliance team as appropriate
- Conduct reviews, testing and verification on a regular basis
- Prepare reports for regulatory bodies and internal management
- Keep abreast of regulatory changes and their potential impact
- Act as the second line of defense in a dynamic, forward thinking business
- Keep abreast of jurisdictional changes and challenges, working closely with Legal
- Plan, prepare and conduct continuing education for business stakeholders
- Provide guidance on and implement controls relating to all US and EU BMR regulatory requirements
- As part of the broader Compliance team, provide Compliance support to the broad range of businesses operated by Bloomberg LP
You'll need to have:
- A minimum of 5-7 years of relevant index experience
- Experience in the financial markets, indices, electronic trading, US and EU BMR regulatory requirements
- Experience responding to regulatory inquiries
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- A track record of working with and advising senior business people on compliance matters
- The ability to advise on regulatory changes and developments
- Experience in drafting policies, procedures, and manuals, along with preparing reports for regulatory bodies and internal management
- An analytical mind, the ability to tackle complex problems and streamline processes
We'd love to see:
- Experience in the financial industry with broad knowledge of financial concepts
- Knowledge of indices and financial benchmarks
- A desire to be part of a team in a dynamic and fast-paced organization
- A JD Degree
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status