Data Privacy Counsel
New York, NY
Posted Mar 28, 2019 - Requisition No. 74392
Bloomberg’s Legal Department plays a critical role in supporting our businesses and operations around the world. We move quickly and thoughtfully to help address a variety of complex legal issues that come with being the world’s leading financial news and information company. Our team is made up of talented and hardworking professionals who think creatively and work collaboratively in an open environment to deliver results, drive innovation, and solve difficult problems. Diversity and inclusion are essential to our success, and we strive to maintain an environment where our employees are empowered to make an impact. We also recognize the value of diversity and inclusion in cultivating a supportive workplace and the importance of giving back to our communities as evidenced by our award-winning pro bono program.
The Data Privacy and Data Security team within Bloomberg's Legal Department, provides Bloomberg with legal guidance on a global basis for data privacy and data security requirements in a wide range of areas including product development, information security, customer and vendor agreements, marketing, incident response, employee matters, data subject requests, internal policies, and privacy notices.
Based in our New York headquarters, this will be a great opportunity to work within the experienced Data Privacy and Data Security function. You will be responsible for providing legal advice to the Company reporting to Senior Privacy Counsel. Your focus will be on data privacy and security matters, ensuring Bloomberg meets its legal, regulatory, and reputational responsibility. You are ultimately responsible for protecting the data of our users, clients, employees and third other parties.
We’ll trust you to:
- Provide advice on data privacy and security legal requirements
- Advise on our Incident Management process and provide legal advice on responding to actual incidents
- Develop compliance mechanisms for new products and services
- Be actively involved in product development and drafting relevant customer facing documentation
- Draft and negotiate contractual provisions with customers, vendors, and partners
- Respond to third-party questionnaires and inquiries
- Actively monitor and advise on local and global legal developments
You’ll need to have:
- Membership in the New York State Bar or the necessary qualifications to register as in-house counsel
- 2-5 years of data privacy experience at a law firm, in-house and/or in the government
- A passion and ability to advise senior business people on data privacy and security matters
- Prior experience responding to regulator and customer inquiries
- Subject matter expertise in data privacy and security laws, rules, regulations, and industry standards
- Experience working with compliance and risk professionals
- Ability to collaborate effectively with security and risk professionals, engineers, software developers, product development, Human Resources, and other teams
- Strong communication, presentation and negotiation skills and the ability to thrive in an open office environment
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
We’d love to see:
- Experience working with regulated financial institutions, software and other technology companies
- A real passion for being part of a global in-house team
- Track record of operating successfully
- In-house experience or a client secondment
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: http://www.bloomberg.com/professional
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.