BloombergNEF US Power Analyst
New York, NY
Posted Apr 1, 2019 - Requisition No. 74434
Today’s potential, tomorrow’s energy. BloombergNEF provides a clear perspective on the technologies and financial, economic and policy trends driving the energy transformation. We offer the most sophisticated new energy datasets and models in the world. We have analysts and experts in six continents, publishing over 700 reports as well as commentary, reactions, and long-term forecasts every year - strategies for a cleaner future.
We are a group of individuals with shared understanding and passion for the issues, but with complementary variety in skills, abilities and knowledge. We demonstrate an uncompromising commitment to continuous improvement, excellence and the pursuit of creativity, innovation and accelerated learning. We need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insight and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need team that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused and fun!
That’s where you come in. We’re looking for an analyst to focus on wholesale electricity markets within our New York-based team. You will develop an intimate understanding of costs and revenues for power plants. You will analyze the revenue streams driving build and retirement decisions on the U.S. grid. You will learn from experts, grow professionally, and thrive doing what you love – all while making real impact on our clients.
As a valued member of our team, we’ll trust you to:
- Uncover insights on U.S. wholesale power markets and identify investment opportunities.
- Describe the factors driving power plant build and retirement decisions. This includes energy, capacity, environmental commodities and policies.
- Publish research and communicate findings to clients and prospects.
- Engage with players across the energy sector - including utilities, governments and financial entities.
- Demonstrate an uncompromising commitment to continuous improvement, excellence and the pursuit of creativity, innovation and accelerated learning.
Successful applicants will need to have:
- A Bachelor's or advanced degree in Finance, Economics, Policy, Natural Sciences, or Engineering related discipline.
- Prior internship or academic focus on energy sector, specifically U.S. power markets and electricity economics.
- 1 to 3 years of work/internship experience in data analysis, financial market research, engineering, and/or information technology.
- Advanced proficiency with Excel at minimum, applied analysis experience with SQL/Python preferred.
- A pension for making decisions based on the data.
- Compelling and articulate communication to any audience, whether writing or presenting.
- Proactive curiosity, with a resourceful and passionate approach to learning.
- A bias for action, and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Flexibility, resilience, and a positive approach to challenges.
We would love to see:
- Experience with fundamental power dispatch modelling (Plexos, Aurora, etc).
- Understanding of the factors that govern commodity prices.
Does this sound like you?
Apply! We will get in touch with the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.