European Competition Counsel
New York, NY
Posted Apr 10, 2019 - Requisition No. 74562
Bloomberg’s Legal Department plays a critical role in supporting our businesses and operations around the world. We move quickly and thoughtfully to help address a variety of complex legal issues that arise across the Company’s various businesses. Our team is made up of talented and hardworking professionals who think creatively and work collaboratively in an open environment to deliver results, drive innovation, and solve difficult problems. We also recognize the value of diversity and inclusion in cultivating a supportive workplace and the importance of giving back to our communities as evidenced by our award-winning pro bono program.
The Global Antitrust and Competition team provides legal advice, and reviews related processes and controls, for all of Bloomberg's businesses, including Bloomberg's entities and licensed and non-licensed products and services. Bloomberg has regulated activities that include regulated trading venues (e.g., UK Multilateral Trading Facility, Dutch Multilateral Trading Facility, US Swap Execution Facility), MIFID II benchmark activities, a US Broker-Dealer, and other regulated offerings globally.
Reporting directly into our Global Head of Competition Law, and based in New York, this is a great opportunity for you to join the Global Antitrust and Competition team, responsible for advising on a range of competition related legal and compliance issues. These issues may relate to any of our dynamic businesses, including financial data and other information, research, analytics, electronic trading systems for securities and derivatives across all asset classes in multiple jurisdictions, information security and enterprise risk.
In this role you will have a direct line to Legal with substantive Competition law responsibilities with a second reporting line into Compliance to partner on process and control reviews, training of management, and monitoring of materials consistent with existing Antitrust guidelines. You will liaise regularly with senior business people, other legal counsel, our Negotiations and Compliance teams, and other support functions.
We'll trust you to:
- Develop an advanced understanding of the Company’s Competition risks and a basic understanding of UK/EU Financial Regulation that will be relevant to Competition issues
- Keep apprised of changes to the regulatory and legal enforcement environment that are relevant to Competition risks.
- Identify potential issues and work with internal and external counsel to ensure appropriate approach to assessing and mitigating potential risks across our global businesses
- Assist with inquiries from Competition Law agencies
- Assist with other compliance efforts, including coordination and training, monitoring of documents in relation to antitrust guidelines etc.
- Develop and lead training and awareness efforts, both live and digital
- Assist with identifying enhancement to ongoing compliance efforts, whether through routine issue identification or otherwise. Work to advise/implement such control improvements.
You’ll need to have:
- Trained and qualified, with at least 5 years PQE, at a top UK, EU or US law firm, and/or competition agency/regulator
- For those coming from private practice, ideally with time spent on secondment to either a competition agency, regulator or in-house Financial Services organization
- Expertise in UK/EU Competition law and interest in growing that expertise
- Strong communication, presentation and negotiation skills
- Proven ability to thrive in a diverse, collaborative, open-plan environment
We'd love to see:
- Familiarity with European financial regulatory landscape
- Familiarity with internal control frameworks
- Someone who is part of an in-house Competition team having previously worked at a law firm
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.