Software Entrepreneur - Data Acquisition
New York, NY
Posted Apr 12, 2019 - Requisition No. 74629
At Bloomberg, our products are fueled by powerful information. We combine data and context to paint the whole picture for our clients, around the clock – from around the world. In Global Data, we’re responsible for delivering this data, news and analytics through innovative technology - quickly and accurately.
Our team is at the forefront of designing the data acquisition systems and tools that power the future growth of Bloomberg as we expand into new data sets. Closely aligned with our users and business stakeholders, we build reusable tools and implement technical solutions that support more than 200 data acquisition professionals identify new opportunities for data and on-board new providers in diverse markets. We have a highly iterative, fast-moving, low-fuss culture. With a small team, there's little room for bureaucracy - and we sit next to our customers. If you have an entrepreneurial mindset coupled with a love of building new systems end-to-end and owning business goals and solutions, moving at a fast pace and receiving immediate feedback, acting as an entrepreneur while learning how a global data business runs - there’s no better place to be.
You’d be in at the ground floor in a unique role as a software entrepreneur in a completely new technical operations team. You will be responsible for identifying opportunities for business improvement and designing and implementing modular distributed and highly available systems that can deliver clear and measurable business value. In addition to day-to-day development, you will be responsible for coaching, mentoring and training the team and as a technical lead, you will also set high technical standards as you define development processes and shape our technical culture and future.
As a valued member of our team, we’ll trust you to:
- Work closely with users to identify opportunities and build innovative, reusable workflow tools to improve processes related to data acquisition across the department.
- Provide mentorship and training to other team members and encourage best practices via code reviews and design sessions.
- Take the lead on design and architecture decisions on how to build and integrate our tools with the rest of the Bloomberg tech stack.
- Engage with stakeholders to understand business problems and user needs and effectively communicate on projects throughout the development lifecycle.
Successful applicants will likely possess:
- A BA/BS degree or higher in Engineering, Information Systems, Mathematics, or relevant data technology field.
- A history of launching new ventures, working directly with customers, delivering measurable value and being comfortable in an unstructured low bureaucracy environment
- 3 or more years of Python programming experience in a production environment.
- Passion for training and developing people, and demonstrated expertise doing so.
- Understanding of object-oriented design.
- Understanding of microservices architecture (Kubernetes, Docker).
- Familiarity of distributed technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, Kafka.
- Demonstrated aptitude for process reengineering and analytical problem solving.
- UI development experience.
Does this sound like you?
Apply! We’ll get in touch and let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.