Senior Software Engineer - Python
Posted Jul 11, 2019 - Requisition No. 76033
At Bloomberg, our software runs the financial markets. And in Software Infrastructure, we're building the core foundation that more than 5000 developers (and counting) rely on for their applications. We build libraries that touch a wide range of technologies. This includes programmable real-time data-processing pipelines, crypto services and development tools. We are technologists who live and breathe high-performance, well-factored, scalable, testable code which can mould quickly to new business initiatives, and we want you to join us!
We are looking for a enthusiastic and talented Python developer to join our Terminal Build team that sits right at the heart of the real-time software for high impact systems that are at the core of the Bloomberg infrastructure. The team is responsible for automating all processes that need to build and test all of the Windows components of the Bloomberg Terminal. We also provide a CI platform for teams that contribute to the core cross-platform libraries of the Bloomberg Terminal. Day to day responsibilities include work to write robust and reliable platform to build, sign, test and distribute components of the Bloomberg Terminal. This involves reaching out to other teams to understand their release workflow and integrate new components into the build platform.We are using Jenkins as a scheduler, Python as our main language and manage a combination of Windows and Linux boxes both hardware and virtual machines.
We'll trust you to:
- Take responsibility for the full software development life-cycle, from understanding the needs of the business through to coding to deployment and maintenance. Your work will be highly visible, making you highly accountable for the release of the Bloomberg Terminal to the clients.
- Enjoy solving highly complex problems while understanding the scope and impact of your work
- Write well-tested, robust, performant code in a cross-platform environment
You'll need to have:
- Demonstrated experience in Python
- A deep understanding of object-oriented design, data structures and algorithms
- An aptitude for working across Linux/UNIX, Sun, and Windows
- Exposure to all phases of the software development lifecycle
We'd love to see:
- An interest in build tools and CI/CD pipelines
- Familiarity with the nuances of building high volume, high availability distributed systems
- Knowledge of operating system fundamentals both Windows and Linux
- Familiarity with network-layer protocols (TCP/IP, PGM, etc.)
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.In the meantime, check us out at http://www.techatbloomberg.com/
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here:
https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/software-engineering-experienced-hire/ We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know!