Senior Front End Engineer - Surveillance Applications
New York, NY
Posted Jul 17, 2019 - Requisition No. 76143
You've seen the headlines. Financial firms are fined millions of dollars when just one employee does something they shouldn't. Companies (e.g. Broker-dealers) have regulatory obligations to perform surveillance of electronic communications, to ensure adherence to rules such as FINRA's Rules 3110 and 3120, CFTC's Dodd-Frank Act, FCA's MiFID II Directive, MAS 2.4.1, etc. Keeping track of who is saying, doing, and trading what is a pretty daunting task for compliance officers, especially with the explosion in the volume, ever-changing regulatory requirements and variety of data produced by communications platforms.
Bloomberg’s Surveillance Platform is a mission critical product used by key risk owners and compliance officers globally to meet the strict regulatory requirements in the financial world. At its core is a policy-driven engines capable of evaluating communications content and metadata in real-time which produces violation events and customized reports. Officers use the web application to set up preventative policies (e.g. anti-money laundering, bribery, etc) and information barrier policies appropriate to groups of users within their organization.
On the Bloomberg Surveillance team, you’ll help us build a web interface for compliance officers to access electronic communications monitoring that can be used to analyze their team's Bloomberg (MSG/IB) and non-Bloomberg (e.g., corporate email, instant messaging, files, trade and documents, voice data and social media) messages for financial, legal, and corporate compliance violations. Our Surveillance Web interface allows firms to meet this requirement by providing access to the realtime results of communications surveillance, including policy management, auditing and reporting.
We’ll trust you to:
- Design, architect, and develop client-facing solutions that meet business requirements
- Develop all levels of the web application stack, from the client to server-side
- Collaborate within an agile, multi-disciplinary, fast paced team
- Advocate for high quality, well-tested solutions
- Take ownership and drive technical solutions from inception to production release
You'll need to have:
- A solid understanding of Computer Science fundamentals and an understanding of asynchronous design patterns (both client and server-side)
- Experience with distributed source control management (like Git) and pull request/code review workflows
We’d love to see:
- 2+ years of experience with Ruby on Rails, Docker, Java, Scala, SOLR
- Professional experience with a relational database (Oracle or MySQL), schema design, and SQL
- Experience developing web services or APIs
- Experience with web security, challenges, risks and mitigation techniques
- A passion for standardization, style guides, and process efficiency
- A keen interest in technological advances and the ability to incorporate new technology into existing systems
If this sounds interesting, apply!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.