SRE - Market Data
Posted Aug 2, 2019 - Requisition No. 76456
At Bloomberg, our software runs the financial markets. To do this, we ingest this real-time market data and news from hundreds of exchanges and thousands of newswires around the world – to the tune of 100 billion ticks of data per day. Our users and downstream applications rely on us to be reliable and always available - this is where our SREs come in. Our SREs ensure our product is fast, reliable, and always available.
The Feeds SRE team sits right at the heart of Bloomberg's global market data operations. We are responsible for meeting our clients’ need for speed and stability across the market data pipeline – from ingestion of real-time market data from hundreds of financial sources, through to enrichment and delivery of data to the clients. Our role as reliability engineers requires that we are constantly working with application teams to design better software and build a more stable production environment. We do this by collaborating with feature developers, writing automation and monitoring software, and focusing on weak points in the pipeline as needed.
We'll trust you to:
- Build a robust monitoring platform for the market data pipeline, from hundreds of diverse parsers to delivery of data to clients, to address issues before they impact clients and help with a speedy resolution of issues
- Help us establish SLOs and SLIs that we can use to measure our quality as an organization, and contribute to engineering projects aimed at ensuring we meet those standards
- Work with the development team to highlight recurring issues; you will ensure these are addressed across all feed handlers in a consistent way
- Help promote and improve development and operational standards within the wider group; you will work with your business partners and software engineers
- Ensure that support documentation is produced, maintained and improved
- Automate away manual processes to increase reliability and time to market while at the same time reducing cost
You'll need to have:
- Proficiency in an OO language such as C++ or Java
- Excellent Python skills
- Familiarity with design and implementation of large scale distributed systems
- Experience with SRE style applications: production monitoring, capacity management, automated deployment, orchestration, configuration management, etc
- Knowledge and experience of applying agile practices to software development
We'd love to see:
- Strong working knowledge of software testing practices and metrics
- Excellent collaboration and partnering skills: you can effectively listen, communicate, challenge and influence team members, immediate peer group and senior managers.
- That you are comfortable taking ownership and responsibility of issues
- A desire to learn new technologies and apply them where appropriate to improve the quality of our software and processes
- Market Data industry exposure or knowledge
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here: https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/software-engineering-experienced-hire/ We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know!
You can check out more about how we work and what it means to be an SRE at Bloomberg in our recent blog post: https://www.techatbloomberg.com/blog/bloomberg-bets-big-on-sres/