Canadian Government Reporter
Posted Aug 20, 2019 - Requisition No. 76775
Bloomberg News is seeking an experienced, dynamic reporter to own and drive our coverage of Canadian politics and policy from Ottawa. You are someone with a proven ability to break news, develop sources and write compelling enterprise stories that set the agenda in Canada's capital.
We will trust you to break news quickly and accurately on everything driving Canadian government and politics – including trade, finance, and energy policies. From the current election campaign, to battles with Trump and rising tensions in China.
You'll write with flair, speed and authority, unpacking complex developments for a global audience. You will spot emerging trends and be quick to join the dots. You will work collaboratively with reporters on other teams and in other regions, including our Washington bureau.
We’ll trust you to:
- Chase stories with tenacity and energy, and break news quickly – never sacrificing quality and accuracy.
- Build out our front page stories by writing influential, data-driven and insightful pieces.
- Produce scoops and high-impact enterprise stories by connecting the dots and contextualizing developments for our audience.
- Develop a broad network of contacts in the government and opposition.
- Chart and visualize data to help your stories stand out.
- Simplify the complex, and create narratives accessible to both market professionals and casual readers.
You’ll need to have:
- 5 or more years of experience at a major news agency.
- Ability to work in an energetic, dynamic, and fast-paced environment.
- Strong news judgment and ability to make decisions with confidence.
- A proactive and motivated approach to each day.
- An unwavering commitment to accuracy.
- A collaborative and collegial mentality, with desire to work across beats to tell stories.
- Professional or bi-lingual proficiency in French is preferred.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in Finance, Economics, Journalism or related field.
If this sounds like you, apply today! We're eager to speak with you.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.