Senior DevOps Engineer - Consumer Media (Contract)
New York, NY
Posted Mar 3, 2020 - Requisition No. 76923
** Please note that this is a contract position**
Bloomberg Media empowers global business leaders with breaking news, expert opinion and proprietary data distributed on every platform, across every time zone reaching over 80 million unique visitors a month through its digital properties. Our applications are sophisticated and built using the latest technologies and require modern scalable infrastructure with a high degree of automation to run efficiently. We are building a new team within Bloomberg Media to build, manage and automate our infrastructure and operational processes to allow us to scale our business. This team will be the center of excellence for all things infrastructure within Bloomberg Media and will collaborate closely with application development teams within Media and other infrastructure teams across Bloomberg.
What's in it for you:
You will work closely with application development teams to understand the architecture of their applications and build automation to run these applications efficiently. You will have the opportunity to develop best practices, tools and processes to fundamentally change how we manage our infrastructure. We are in a hybrid cloud environment where some of our applications run on the public cloud while the rest run on an internal cloud. You will work with application teams to migrate more applications to the public cloud and build abstractions to allow us to seamlessly run these in a multi-cloud environment. You will also build and manage mission-critical infrastructure common to multiple application teams and be able to put your entrepreneurial hat on to find new ways to abstract out infrastructure to allow application teams to focus on application development.
We'll trust you to:
- Identify and automate developer workflows. Build tools and processes to automate operational tasks allowing us to manage more applications with less effort.
- Work with the application teams to help them migrate applications to the public cloud. Build abstractions that allow us to migrate and run these in a multi-cloud environment seamlessly.
- Own core infrastructure such as Kubernetes clusters, HAProxy farms, Redis clusters and more which are used by multiple application teams. Automate day two operations as much as possible to reduce overall operational overhead.
You need to have:
- 3+ years of experience working on highly available, fault-tolerant distributed systems
- 2+ years of experience with infrastructure automation tools such as Terraform, Bosh, Chef, Ansible or Capistrano
- A strong understanding of operating systems and the nuances of Linux
- A strong understanding of networking fundamentals including DNS, load balancing, proxies and firewalls
- Experience managing web applications operating at web scale
- A solid understanding of the modern software development lifecycle (SDLC) processes such as Continuous Integration and Delivery
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
We'd love to see:
- 2+ years of experience managing web scale infrastructure using modern technologies and DevOps principles
- 2+ years of experience with the public cloud infrastructure (AWS, Azure, Google)
- Expertise in Kubernetes, both as a client as well as owner of the platform
- Expertise in analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Knowledge of network and application performance analysis using standard UNIX tools
- Experience with maintaining and managing a community around open source software
Does this sound like you?
Great, apply today! We want to work with others who are passionate about community-driven development both within the company and with the wider open source community.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.